Quantcast

id and slime

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
Got this cup coral today. Can someone help me identify it. Can not tell by the photo but it kind of blue/grey. Also it is sliming around the edges and outer polyps will not open.

Thanks
Don

Alice

Well, taxonomy is a *itch and the photo is a little fuzzy but it looks to be Turbinaria peltata; I've been wrong before though ;)

T. peltata can slime like a champ and can be fairly sensitive to differences in water conditions so give it a few days to open up. They also put out a mucus net to trap food particles.

Alice

DonW

R.I.P.
THNKS

Looking at some photos on the internet I think you are correct. Thank you! Do you have any feeding tip for this one? Again confused, I've done some research finding some articles that say to feed and some say its not required. You might be able to see in the photo there is a dead area. Will this reform over time?

Thanks
Don

jmaxwell

It has been my experience that the turbinaria in question (pagoda cup coral) prefers medium to low light (in a VHO or MH environment)and a gentle current, it does not require supplimental feeding, but certainly doesn't mind being fed, the dead area will heal over, but it will take a while. I have one in my tank that had a dead area similar to yours and it has taken 6 moths to heal over. Hope this helps.

Jim

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts