Quantcast

ID big 'worm' please!!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Shawnna

Joey & Xena are the best!
I just added 2 pieces of Figi live rock to start the cycling last night, and this morning there's this big 'worm' like thing coming from one piece of rock.

Can you help ID please? Is this a good thing, or bad thing?
Thanks!

TDEVIL

well, to me that almost looks like a peanut worm, good thing

i will try to find some info and find out if i am correct or not;)

TD

ReefShack

sps junkie
It's a little tough from that picture but, it looks like you've got yourself a good ol' Sipunculid (a.k.a. peanut worm). From what I've read, they're either suspention feeders or detritivors. Either way not a bad thing to have in the tank as the won't harm any of your other animals. As a matter of fact, I found one in a batch of live rock I had curing not long ago and threw it into my refugium. I've only seen it one time since and it was busy sifting through the substrate. I'd say keep it.

Shawnna

Yep.... I think you're both right.

He's not going to find much to "eat" in my substrate as it's fresh out of the bag!

Will he starve to death in my tank? I'm just starting the cycle process and won't be adding any livestock for a good 6 weeks or so.

Should I feed it or add food to the tank during the cycle process?

TDEVIL

no worries, Shawnna

he will find plunty to eat, and you prob have more than 1 in there ;), while the cycling process is taking place you will have a bit of die off, normal, and this will help to feed the critters

dont feed the tank during the cycle, this will just increase the trates, phosphates, ets and you dont want to help the algae grow more than it will, and it will grow ;)

HTH

TD

Shawnna

Thanks so much! I did find another in there and put him in my 55 gal reef. I know I don't have any in there and felt like he would do some good.

Thanks again!
Shawnna

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts