Quantcast

ID help

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
Could someone tell me what this is exctly? I was told it was a yellow brain at the store. I cannot tell how its doing. Is there a way to tell? I have it up high under mh's.

Thanks
Don

Elmo18

Clownfish
Looks to me like a Trachyphyllia sp. , quite possibly a geoffreyi. Its an open brain. I would start open brain corals from the sand, and if it looks like it needs more light, move it up the water column.

- Elmo

DonW

R.I.P.
Its not lps. every now and again I see what apears to be 4 mouths in the center section. More like my plate.

Don

DonW

R.I.P.
Hey Elmo,
I think you were correct. I moved this guy down to the sand, within minutes its a different shape and wide open.

Thanks
Don

kevinpo

Expert
I'm fairly sure it is an LPS from the Lobophyllia family. The sepcies is likely hataii or the more common hemprichii. Red and green are the common colors. They have a very wide variety of growth forms. They swell and the teeth are hidden when conditions are favorable. Will do well in a wide range of lighting environmets. A very hardy coral.

HTH,
Kevin

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.