Quantcast

Ionically Balanced?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

NaH2O

Hey everyone! I've been reading here and on other boards about water parameter issues. I want to get this figured out - I think I understand it one day, then the next I'm all confused again. So, when you figure your Calcium and Alkalinity.....do you base it on what is "ionically balanced" for your set salinity? Do you base your values on the salinity or do you say "I want my calcium to be at XYZ value" and worry about the other values from there?

When supplementing with calcium, should we be just adding enough to fulfill the consumption of our inhabitants? As an example, at a specific gravity of 1.025 calcium should be 385 and alk 7.5 to be ionically balanced.....so should we strive to keep calcium at 385 or is it OK to bump up the values, as long as calcium and alk are balanced?

What do you guys think?

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Nikki,
Last month in the Spokane Club meeting, Kevin gave a really good talk again. He stated you want to try to keep your calcium levels as a goal of 400-420. Now the Alk level he gave me was 2.8-3.2 I believe as a goal? He stated often people with live sand bottoms will have their sand clump if they go above 420 in calcium. I am not the best listener. I think that is what he said. Can someone from Spokane help me out?

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
I'm not sure, but it sounds like Kevin was refering to meq/L milliequivelents per liter, 3.2 meq/L would be equal 7.5 DKH. These are just different ways of measuring the concentrations of alkalinity, and depending up the test kit and the way you do your calculations you end up with one or the other.

Salifert kits give you the breakdown of how to calculate for each differently, but the results are the same.

I'm also going to agree with Nikki on the levels of calcium though, I remember talking with Mike about what my Ca should be at and he said it's totally based upon your salinity. Miine is 1.026 which means my Ca should be around 405 - 410. I'm pretty sure that you're not going to find any place in the world where the ocean has calcium levels above 410, so any higher than this is isn't really neccessary.

Eliyah

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
Don, which numbers are you refering to? If you're talking about the level of calcium, I'm not completely sure how Mike calculated/knows this, but I have read about it in some discussions on RC as well.

Eliyah

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts