Quantcast

is it hot or is it just me?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

mine is at 81 right now.....much hotter and i'm going to have to turn the halides off. luckily i have a room a/c in the living room where the tank is. no chiller though.

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I like to keep extra fans around just for days like we are getting now. I usually use the 5" fans from radio shack, but last week I got a clip-on fan from Freddy's and it is doing the trick.

Beeba

Now that I took my heater out and adjusted it where I could see it my tank has stayed a steady 80 and all creatures great and small seem happy. Of course I live in Ohio where on occasion you have to use the heater and air conditioner both in the same day. :)

mattseattle

yeah i finally had to add a small bag of ice to my sump today. my tank climbed up to about 83.5. it's back down to 81 now. i'm freezing more ice for tomorrow.

LakeEd

Achilles
I know my tank sure enjoyed that Friday evening is the time for its 10% water change! Fresh RO/DI water, was only 70 degrees... and brought my tank down to an even 80. *smile*

May have to do a couple of those tomorrow... the rate we are heading. LOL

Salsaking

Salsa soon in Safeway!!
Chiller is a good thing to have right now!!

Finn great answer! I like the confidence! Very nice. It's definetly nice to have a cool tank right now. OHHHHH YAAAHHHH! Hope everyone else's tank is doing good.

Salsaman out

MtnDewMan

Some record breaking heat here. I have a portable AC unit in my townhouse. That is not near enough of course. Still 85F inside. The tank though has a chiller and it is much more comfortable than I am :)

The Apprentice

HI MATT what is the Maxt temp you let your reef tank get ? and How much of a temp swing is acceptible. Mine will Be 79 in the morning and climb up to 83+ by the time the Halides go off is this too big of a swing???

mattseattle said:
yeah i finally had to add a small bag of ice to my sump today. my tank climbed up to about 83.5. it's back down to 81 now. i'm freezing more ice for tomorrow.

mattseattle

83 is about the max i usually let mine get before i put ice in it or shut off the halides. today i just shortened my lighting cycle on the halides to come on much later in the afternoon and off at the normal time.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Well the temp guage outside on Saturday says 102F. The tank went to 82 for the first time ever, lol. I think I am going to go sit in the sump for awhile.

Mike

The Apprentice

Hot lights, Run times

How short of time cycle can we run Our Halides during the summer months :?: You posted Matt that you are reducing your time but what would be a Minimum time that Halide light should be on :?: 5 hours??? Any members thoughts would be greatly appreciated...Jeff :)

mattseattle said:
83 is about the max i usually let mine get before i put ice in it or shut off the halides. today i just shortened my lighting cycle on the halides to come on much later in the afternoon and off at the normal time.

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
The Apprentice said:
How short of time cycle can we run Our Halides during the summer months :?: You posted Matt that you are reducing your time but what would be a Minimum time that Halide light should be on :?: 5 hours??? Any members thoughts would be greatly appreciated...Jeff :)
I guess until the tank temp reaches 82-83 degrees or until you invest in a chillar.;) ........Take Care, Scott

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
On days like yesterday or friday. I just turn the MH's off and call it a cloudy day on my reef. Some folks just reverse the period when its really hot, light at night dark during the day except for actinics. Lowering duration times to 6 to 8 hours is done also.

Mike

The Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback Mike I can do 6 hours ok with lights and still be under 82-83 degrees. And thanks Scott for the Feed back. Yes a chiller will be nice Especilly since its been getting 103-105 here in Eastern Oregon. Just have to wait till next year..Jeff

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
I went to a wedding yesterday in this heat, I thought I was gonna die!

By the time I returned home, the tank was at 82. Not stressing too much at this point, but if this continues I may be forced to come up with a solution.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.