Quantcast

Is it OK to use low power UV light?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

fengzhu

Wonder is it OK to mix a CCFL UV tube with major lighting? I bought 2 UV CCFL tubes from Fry, maybe 3W each? I want to mix them with 2 blue CCFL tubes for moonlights, so I can see some fluorescent color. But I don't know is it OK with corals and fishs, will UV, even low power and 6 inchs from water surfice, hurt those corals? I tried them for 3 hours now and corals are still open, but I'm afraid that they may bleach after 3 month....

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
UV on coral is kind of a scary thing. I have seen it done on several Japanese reef tanks, but your really riding the line of going from a nice colorful coral to a bone white coral. I wouldnt play around with it.

Mike

fengzhu

My guess was that UV from CCFL tubes was quite weaker than from full exposed sun, so it should not matter if corals could tolerate sun.
But you are right, guessing is not too good a thing for expensive corals. I will stop using them.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
the Japanese tanks I was refering to used small spot lights to enhance the uv protectorant pigments corals have. Some of the corals were very nice, but it really puts alot of stress on them, and thier is no real line drawn in the sand as to how much each and every coral can handle. so you ride the line basically, its turns out nice or you kill it.

Hope it helped

Mike

Stircrazy

Mike I recall reading something about this a long time ago and I am interested in your take. the general overview was that the common black lights we use are almost exclusively UV A. the amount of UV B given off is way less than the average MH bulb and there is no UV C.

if this is true then there should be no harm to the corals as UV A (if I recall right) doesn't cause damage like UV B, and C do.

Steve

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts