Quantcast

Is this a good choice?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

idgy

Coralife 36" with 96 watt 10,000k daylight and 96 watt true actinic blue compact fluorescent lamps fan cooled.

Is that a good choice for a tank with live rock, reef safe fish, inverts and some low light to med light coral.

From what I understand for a 58 gallon tank at 4 watts per gallon I should have 232 watts?

I am so lost with all this!

Pyrrhus

that would make a fine choice for the tank you describe. if you ever think you would like some higher light corals i would look into the Coralife Aqualight Pro light with a 150w DE MH and 2 65w PC actinics. great little unit and very clean looking. ditch the watts per gallon rule, it just doesnt work. if a coral needs X amount of light it doesnt matter what size tank its in, it still needs the same amount of light.

bradreef

always kidding
It all depends on what you want to keep. That light would be good for the low end of corals to the mid level. The high end would be a 250 watt halide with 2 96watt pc's.

idgy

So if I forget about the wattage per gallon, then would a dual flourescent fixture do the job with the righy bulbs in it or will I still need more than that can offer?

Thanks!

wrightme43

Its the intensity, that your looking for. Vho, P.C. and MH work. I have had success with the corallife fixture, If its the 65 that is a big cube you can fit 2 of them on it I bet. HTH Steve

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.