Quantcast

Is this a starfish?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beeba

Today I walked by my tank and looked in just as I always do when passing and I saw something climbing on the glass. As I looked closely it appeared to be a small starfish. It is about the size of a dime and has 7 legs. It crawled on the glass just like a starfish but I don't know where it would have come from. I have one sand sifting starfish in my tank but it rarely climbs on the glass. I tried taking a picture so that someone can help me identify this little guy. I know the pictures are very poor quality but it is the best I could get. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Beeba

I have only found the one and it has been well over two months since I bought any new rock for my tank. What kind of starfish is it? Will it stay small? Is it good or bad?

Angelscrx

Import Fish
It looks like the little gray ones I have in my tank. You may not see them very often because they are very small and split often. Some have two legs or three or four you just never know about it until they split. They grow them back. They like to come out at night because during the day they would be hunted by some fish. Some one said that some forms of starfish are bad but haven't seen these do anything to my animals. They don't even go near them. Mine come out all the time since I don't have anything that would hunt them.

BlennyBabe

Rachel
Its an asterina starfish. They are usually harmless and wont hurt corals or fish. I have seen them on my acros before, but usually only on ones doing poorly. I cant say anything conclusive about their role in the acros death. I think they just scavenge.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.