Quantcast

Is this the right order

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

idgy

I have been posting questions on many reef forums and reading tons of posts. Soon I will be starting my tank, I have the tank and now I am waiting for my Life Reef sump and skimmer which hopefully will arrive in August.

I am trying to do a FOWLR tank right and I want to start off knowing as much as possible. I hope not to lose much marine life due to lack of knowledge. So I am preparing myself properly, so is this the way to start:

Fill tank with saltwater

Let tank cycle

Add cured live rock and live sand (if I get cured live rock from a reputable dealer will cured live rock have bad hitch hiker on it and if so how do I get them off before putting in the tank)?

Add cleaner crew

Then slowly add desired fish

If I have a certain step here incorrect please let me know

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

:confused: :confused: :confused: ;)

jasontatro

Wiseguy
Pretty close Idgy.

You're gonna add your live rock to the tank, and then it will cycle. If you are going to use sand for the bottom you would also add it at that time.

As far as hitchhikers go... I say just wait and see what you get. More than likely you will get more good stuff than bad. You can deal with the bad stuff as you see it pop up.

Once your tank cycles, you can add a cleaning crew. Then it's time for fish.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions as you go.

Jason

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Have some patience too, I've found that out the hard way. Get some Ammonia and Nitrite, and nitrate test kits, those will help alot in figuring out when your tank is completely cycled.

Katchupoy

IDGY, others recommend that you put your LR to a flat surface without water maybe with a newspaper for matting or something... Then you wait for a couple of minutes... You just spray it with salt water to keep it moist...

Those hitchhikers usually crawl out of LR...

:)

iamjosh

not sure what size your starting with, In my new 125 I'm going to lay down eggcrate for a base then add rock and then follow with sand.

After having a sleeper head goby turn my sand bed all up and almost cause some rocks to fall I think the eggcrate will be a good way to prevent that.

I also dropped a rock one day when a fish nipped at me and so I don't want that dumping my tank, I think the eggcrate will help with that. I didn't crap my acrylic 55, but dropping something on a 125 Glass has me a bit worried..

Lets hear more about your setup!

NaH2O

Great advice! I also agree to have the rock in before the cycle. Use your test kits to follow along the cycle, then when it is over you'll be ready for the cleaner crew.

What kinds of fish are you planning to keep?

Cougra

If you are using enough cured live rock and live sand then you may have a very small cycle and may not see an ammonia or nitrite spike. If you don't see any changes in the readings after a couple weeks, it should be safe to start adding your cleanup crew.

idgy

NaH2O

I was thinking of golden head sleeper gobies, powder blue tang, flame angel and maybe an juvie emperor angel. Plus my clean up crew.

idgy

my setup is a 58 gallon reef ready tank and a life reef sump and skimmer ( have to wait till August for it to ship).

That is it so far! Whatelse should I included in this setup?

thanks all for your answers :)

iamjosh

My sleeper head made a mess of the rock dumping sand on it all the time, the sand always was clean but he was also causing the rocks to shift and that was no good IMO

cdeakle

You might want to evaluate your stocking plan again and double check the tank size requirements for the fish. You might find that soem of your picks will easily outgrow a 58 gallon tank in short order or might need a bigger tank to keep them happy =)

iamjosh

Feather dusters add an interesting element to the tank w/o a big concern on bio load, I have a green one and a brown one, I'll probly pickup a white and purple one this week too.

I got an interesting thing from Charlie on the boards here and I can't remember what it is but its growing like a weed and looks pretty awesome. (See pic)

Also I have some mushrooms in my tank and they are intersting too.

-josh

NaH2O

Josh - be sure to keep your green brittle fed - they are predatory by nature and have been known to snack upon clean-up crews and unsuspecting fish. As with everything in this hobby, there are exceptions to that rule. Just a little FYI for ya.

idgy - do you have plans on upgrading in the near future?

idgy

Nikki,

I am not sure at the moment. Why do you ask? I actually just got this tank a week ago. After laying out 900 on a tank, stand, cap, light I think an upgrade is a very far off thought at the moment.

NaH2O

My only concern is the size of a couple of your fish choices. The Emperor Angel, although you specify Juvie, would outgrow your tank. I believe the recommendation for the Emperor Angel and Powder Blue Tang is a minimum tank size of 100 gallons. I thought maybe if you had a larger system in the near future, you would move these fish in it as they became too large for your current system.

I know the feeling of dishing out all the $$ of start-up.....too bad it doesn't seem to end ;)

fishermann

idgy a 58 is way to small a tank for a powder blue and a emperor angle, they are both territorial fish and a 58 is going to mean they can't get away frrom each other to their own section of the reef, which is going to cause a territory battle, or at the least these guys are going to be stressed out alot. I would think that even a 100 or larger is right for one of these guys but still too small for two of them. Also i don't think a small emperor and a flame well get along at all, one well probably kill the other.

idgy

OY! I guess I will have to re-think this! What if I forgot the powder blue and went with a juvie emperor angel until it got to big and then gave it to someone or sell it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts