Quantcast

Joes Juice Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Crows Ridge

Well, after being under siege of Majanos for the past several months, my order of Joes Juice showed up in the mail today.

I couldnt get to the tank fast enough. It is amazing how fast those little beggers eat that stuff, and then melt! OH YEAH!

Now there is several dozen I didnt get yet, and some that will need another hit, but I am really happy to have all of them gone!

Chris

NaH2O

Awesome, Chris! I've read some pretty great reviews on the juice.

mattseattle

i also heard he is working on a formula to get rid of bristle worms.

i definitely recommend joe's juice as i've seen it in action. luckily so far my tank hasn't had the need for it.

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
Bristle control is easy. They eat detritus. If you cut feedings down and are careful about how much you feed then they disappear. Valuable lesson learned. Haven't seen them for weeks. My whole substrate used to be covered. Oh, Joes Juice is pretty sweet. Only used it once and it worked well.

bpm2000

smokin' reefer
Be ready to kill the ones that survive (some ALWAYS seem to) and I would recommend not letting it stuff sit on corraline too long, it bleached in my tank.

cdeakle

Joes juice does work on killing those bastards but there are areas for concern.

JJ has been debated heavily on reefs.org for 2 reasons. First, Joe the owner refuses to list his ingredients and I don't like putting anything in my tank without knowing exactly what I'm putting in my tank.

Secondly, there have been numerous reports of ornamental shrimp deaths shortly after using joes juice, myself included.

Like I staed already, the juice does work as promised but just wanted to make sure you guys had a heads up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A simple analysis will tell us the elemental composition, but not the compounds that were present.

We have talked to Joe Gatto, the owner, and expressed some concern that he does not list ingredients of the product. He contends that the ingredients are secret in order to preserve his market position. We asked about the "patent applied for" label on the box and we pointed out that any patent would have to disclose the ingredients (patents and trade secrets are opposites - you can't have both).

He contends that a patent has been applied for, but we have been unable to find any record of it in the US Patent and Trademark database. He later told us that he could not give us the patent application number on the advice of his attorney and became very paranoid that we were trying to steal his product. This is a strange claim, since patent applications and numbers are public knowledge - you can read them at http://www.uspto.gov

We attempted to assure him that we had no intention of reproducing the product, but that we could not sell it without knowing what was in it. He didn't want to talk to us anymore after that.

There has been some anecdotal evidence that Joe's Juice may be harmful to shrimp, but we don't have enough info to look into it any further.

If he does get a patent, we will all be able to read it on the web, but we are a bit suspicious since we can find no record of the application.

Last edited:

NaH2O

I have traded emails with Joe on this matter as well, and he was very nice. It appears based on my own searching at the US Patent website, that the patents are not publicized until they get assigned a number. I can't imagine the amounts of applications the US Patent Office gets....or the amount of time it takes to go through....make sure there isn't an identical product, etc before getting that number. I'm not trying to defend the guy - I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt. If I had a product that worked well, and potentially was easy to put together (DIY)....I would be very concerned about the ingredients getting out. Talk about a loss of profit. On a side note...people used cyclop-eeze when it contained ethoxyquin (a pesticide) without thinking twice about it. I believe now, that cyclop-eeze has eliminated its use in the frozen form? I'm not sure which one.

cdeakle - I'm curious if you noticed your shrimp eating some of the juice?

cdeakle

With the response that joe gave the mods on my other favorite forum site that alone would be cause for alarm. And his product has been out long enough that if he had applied then there would be some record of it by now.

I don't want to bash the guy and like I stated before his product does work on troublesome anemones but there is enough information out there to discuss and think twice before labeling the juice a miracle cure.

I did not notice the shrimp eating the juice but I did loose 3 cleaner shrimp. One of them was around a year old and the other two were around 2 months old. I know of three other people on RDO that lost a total of 5 shrimp and they to had recently used the juice. Too much of a coincidence in my humble opinion.

all of these problems can be fixed with one action. Product labeling. Kill two birds with one stone. I understand that labeling your product as a potential shrimp killer would hurt sales but in the least he can label his product so that we know whats in it so we can decide if we want to take the risk of using it.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.