Quantcast

Kalk / Iwaki

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
I have an Iwaki return pump and top off with kalk at the opposite end of the sump. The problem is if I shut down the Iwaki, it has to be tore down and cleaned in order to restart. Any Ideas?? Maybe a bad impellor?? Its really never all that badly covered with calcium, usually only takes about a week to start acting up.

Don

DonW

R.I.P.
wrightme43 said:
Just a thought, and it is transfered from other elec. motors. Is a winding in the motor failing?
I'd hope not its only 5months old. The motor turns the magnet just not the impeller. My guess is the impeller magnet is just week but not sure.

Don

wrightme43

That definately could be the problem. Or you may of just got one of the pumps that had minimum bore tolerance on the housing and maximum diameter tolerance on the impeller or magnet. Might just be a tight pump that needs to run solid for a few weeks to wear in. Just ideas because I cant see it, and hold it myself. HTH in some way. Steve

big t

tankless
If you want to send it back let me know, I have a spare. I drip kalk into the same chamber the pump pickes up on and havn't had a problem for 4 months of doing so.

DonW

R.I.P.
big t said:
If you want to send it back let me know, I have a spare. I drip kalk into the same chamber the pump pickes up on and havn't had a problem for 4 months of doing so.

Thanks Tom
I may need to take you up on your offer. I sent a email to Blue Sierra where I got the pump. Maybe they can send it in for me. I'll let you know.

Thanks
Don

DonW

R.I.P.
I thought I would post the outcome of this pump issue. It needs a new wet end. The bushing that are pressed into the housings are not fit properly.
Iwaki is shipping a complete new wet end assembly. Know here's the catch.
The first four numbers of the sn# are the date code. They do not care when you bought it. My pump was out of warranty the day I bought it NEW from Blue Sierra. As a compromise Iwaki agreed to cover just the wet housing but will not warranty anything ever again on this pump.
Keep in mind you have to check the sn# of any Iwaki you buy, it may be out of warranty even if new.

Don

dnjan

alveopora
That is a really bad for the LFS that is willing to stock something even if it isn't a fast mover.

DonW

R.I.P.
dnjan said:
That is a really bad for the LFS that is willing to stock something even if it isn't a fast mover.
I dont blame the store at all. I give them credit for having what I need at a great price. Iwaki's policy is what I disagree with. New retail is new retail, I could see if it were some old outdated pump that was no longer made.

Don

wrightme43

Yeah Don x 2 LOL. I agree. I mean if I owned the LFS I would have to stand behind the product, but I would probley not buy anymore. No matter how good they are and how well they do. I cant see making another company a profit and taking a loss because of a manufacturing and warrenty issue. Not fair to the consumer or retailer. Steve

dnjan

alveopora
DonW said:
I dont blame the store at all. I give them credit for having what I need at a great price. Iwaki's policy is what I disagree with. New retail is new retail, I could see if it were some old outdated pump that was no longer made.

Don
Exactly what I meant. Iwaki is screwing over the good LFS's that are willing to stock stuff even though they can't sell a lot of units quickly.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts