Quantcast

Kalk slurry

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
Who is using Anthony Calfo's slurry method of kalk dosing? Other than the ph problems what other downsides have you come across?

Don

MINIATUS

Don
You got a link to this. I drip Kalk but not in a Slurry.

MINIATUS:exclaim:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Don IMHO dripping slurry is not the best of ideas. the percipatates and land on and burn coral tissue. I dont see the advantage in doing it.

Mike

DonW

R.I.P.
mojoreef said:
Don IMHO dripping slurry is not the best of ideas. the percipatates and land on and burn coral tissue. I dont see the advantage in doing it.

Mike
Mike,
I stumbled on to this, on RC. My thoughts were the same at first, now I wonder if it could get dumped into my felt sock. I run it 24/7 and change every other day.
What are your thoughts on this?

Don

DonW

R.I.P.
MINIATUS said:
Don
You got a link to this. I drip Kalk but not in a Slurry.

MINIATUS:exclaim:
Sorry I dont have the link, I was just doing some research and stumbled onto to it via google. There is some info on RC.
The idea is to make a thick batch of kalk and dump it straight in. My understanding something like 1/4 tsp to one cup ro water. You do need a ph probe and a good understanding of your tanks calcium and alk needs.

Don

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
I still dont get it Don. its not like its going to be more concentrated. Did they give any reason for doing it??

Mike

DonW

R.I.P.
mojoreef said:
I still dont get it Don. its not like its going to be more concentrated. Did they give any reason for doing it??

Mike
Mike,
No not really other than just plain less work. I guess its described in Calfo's book, that I dont have. A few of Calfo's comment would make me to believe that its more of a ca reactor subtitute. I guess for those that dont have the money or space. It also seems to aid in getting the calcium levels above 400.
Beats me I was just wondering, never heard of it until this morning.

Don

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
The addition of vinegar solves the pH problem. This also bypasses the need to find CO2 molecules to bind with. The salinity issue is still present as a a rapid change in salt concentration is not good as well. Be caredul if your adding at the same time with your evaporate make-up water.

NaH2O

Here is a quote from Anthony Calfo's The Book of Coral Propagation, page 185.

And so, it is my advice to aquarists who responsibly test for the additives they use, to dose calcium hydroxide in increments (whisked briefly in a cup of cold purified water) that do not raise the pH of a system by more than two tenths of a point. The portion will begin conservatively small (starting with 1/16th of a teaspoon per one hunderd gallons of system water) and increase until the pH climbs two tenths of a point or the tested amount satisfies the daily demand for calcium in that portion, whichever comes first. A digital pH monitor makes very short work of this process and is highly recommended with this style of dosing calcium. Most systems less than 3 years old and under 200 gallons in capacity can have their daily demand for calcium satisfied in a single shot of slurried kalkwasser after the sun goes down: a one minute procedure after the parameters have been set. To maximaize phosphate fallout and calcium uptake, it has been observed that kalkwasser additions are more effective if they can be safely dosed into the main display rather than the sump. This method of calcium supplementation should appeal to aquarists and coral farmers who cannot afford or choose not to invest in calcium reactors. I do not even believe that calcium rectors are necessarily better, although they are excellent vehicles for calcium and alkalinity maintenance. The contrast between the methods is simple. Calcium reactors are convenient but expensive. Manual applications of kalkwasser could be very inexpensive, but requires daily attention. Coral farmers starting up or operating large facilities are advised to dose kalkwasser manually until they are so wealthy (wink) that they can afford such delightfully convenient toys for each system. Until then, dosing really isn't so bad. The nature of coral propagaion is inherently labor intensive and requires consistent, daily attention. The one-minute diversion of dosing kalkwasser is simply part of a farmer's day. Private aquarists are otherwise encouraged to seriously consider automated calcium supplementation, as cost management is not quite so critical in not-for-profit operations.

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
I won't do this and it isn't the pH that I'm worried about. Kalkwasser has impurities like anything else does. If you are saving money by using Pickling Lime I would have concerns about the heavy metals you are adding to your tank. Kalk has the ability to Remove Heavy Metals from Solution. That's obviously a good thing but that only works with the supersaturation method. With the Slurry method you are pouring the pollutants right into the tank.

Why do the pollutants concern me? Here's why....Most Calcium Hydroxide that you buy is coming from my back yard. Well it's an hour and a half away but I've been there many times. It's coming from the Mississippi Lime Company in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri. It's an awesome place if you are into history as it is the only original French Colonial Village intact in America. If you are into history like me it's worth a visit. Unfortunately, the lead poisoning effects of the Doe Run smelter has been found in Doe Run, Herculaneum, Leadington, Ironton, Ste. Genevieve, etc. The EPA forced the Doe Run Corporation to buy out a couple of whole towns due to lead poisoning. BTW....they also smelt copper. Give that one a thought if you have any invertebrates in your tank. I'm not going into any more details to protect the owners of this board. However, a Google of "Doe Run + EPA" will shed some light on the subject.

The thing that goes through my mind is, once a heavy metal like lead or copper is introduced into my system, how do I get it out??? I'm not telling anyone what to do, and Mr. Calfo is certainly a whole lot smarter than me, but I read the papers in Missouri and I choose the supersaturation method to try to remove as many heavy metals as possible. You may take from my post what you want. This is my PERSONAL opinion and the owners or moderators of Reef Frontiers may feel free to delete this post if they want to.

cdeakle

Why would they want to delete your post?

Varied opinions are great, gives a person different ideas and information to draw from......

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Doe Run has a LOT of lawyers!!!

They have been in a lot of trouble and tend to threaten people. I could care less if the come after me. I have some friends with inside info. I'm not going to threaten a great board like RF though.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Well that was a depressing post Curt, lol Dont worry thiers no reason for deleting the post I dont think its a problem and to be honest that was a great post.

Don I think using Kalk is a great way to suppliment cal and alk in your tank, I do it all the time, much cheaper then running a reactor. Its the slurry part that I dont like. What most folks do it to just make a batch up and dose everything but the percipatate. For me once a week I fill a drum with ro/di water pour in some kalk powder and throw in a PH, next day I turn off the PH and put a peice of bubble wrap on top of the drum. My doser is a metered pump and I dose it at night only, reactor during the day.

Mike

DonW

R.I.P.
Mike,
I actually use a calcium reactor and dose kalk at night, low tech evap top off method. I was just wondering out of curiosity more or less. Up until now I did'nt know there was another way. But with most things easier is'nt allways better.

Don

Scooterman

Administrator
Curtswearing
(Knowledge Parasite)

I know one thing, when curts makes a post, he makes a post. I see no reason why it should be deleted, it is valuable information IMO, when one can contribute his/her thoughts out for everyone, we all can benifit from it or take it for a grain of Silt, it is one of many reasons for viewers to visit, post and be a part of a community. Now what was it that he said?
:eek: :eek:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts