Quantcast

Killifish

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Electrokate

killifish

I breed killies and just started my first nano reef, would love to trade tiny little frags for killies ;) It's a 10 gallon with 96 watts of pc, half actinic half regular and there is a large refugium on it stuffed with caulerpa. It's been a few weeks now and there has been no die off or spikes in toxins and critters are sproutin all over the place. I'm having fun... Think I need to shed the anemone babies (?) though. I am hoping to put corals in it of various types, maybe a small bit of mushrooms. I would like to start small as I can't accomodate much in a 10 gallon tank... so I guess advice would also be useful.
Also there is a big meeting in Portland this Saturday with the NW Killies club, we always auction a ton of fish and have a good time. It's actually in St Helens on a houseboat this time. Not sure how you put a fishroom in a houseboat but I guess I will find out. Tax free holiday shopping follows the meeting if you can stand the rotten traffic.
What are you looking for? I have plans to sell out a few species but most will still be here, I have a ton of gularis. I could also try to snag you a species or two if you have a specific fish and price in mind. I am in Olympia.
Kbird@munat.com

Stang69

OFR!
Here is a link that might help

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwkillifish

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwkillifishe

Jeff

Sealab2021

Puffer
thank you both,

Electrokate~ I don't do corals(or anything requiring lighting), but am interested in a buying them or will trade something if you want(I have tons of freshwater gear). I'm actually trying to get them for my granny (who used to have killies 20+ years ago). let me know

Electrokate

New killifish club

Don't know if there are any killifish nuts on this list but if there are there is a new Puget Sound Killfish club forming, don't know what the name will be or how often we will meet, etc but email me if you want in on the first meeting. It is coming up in Renton and is open to all.
Thanks,
Kate Breimayer
Oly WA

BlennyBabe

Rachel
I have five pairs of A. striatus. I would love to get breeding them, anyone have any information? I have had them for about 6 months. They are in my sisters care until I move into my new apartment on sunday feb 1st. I plan on setting up a planted tank for them i think.

Electrokate

striatum

I have a bunch of Aphyosemion striatum Lambarene, they are pretty easy to breed. 70-74 degrees, neutral to acid ph, low hardness, they don't need light and may be better off without it while spawning... egg scatterers, prefer to leave them in yarn "mops", wispy plants, roots, and other fibrous stuff, will also spawn into substrate. Got about 20 eggs a day out of a pair one week. In a planted tank you will get some survivors but with 6 adults most eggs or fry will be eaten before they mature, if you have malasian trumpet snails they will eat all the eggs. What I do is put the best pair in a separate container like a 1.5 gallon "kritter keeper" with a .5" layer of peat on the bottom and lots of mops. Feed generously with live foods such as well rinsed black worms and grindals, white worms and brine shrimp are also good. Frozen bloodworms can also be used but live works better and overfeeding bloodworms can cause bloat .
Use a tsp salt per gallon, use aquarium or non iodized salt like they sell at health food stores, don't know what marine salt would do... Change the water once or twice a week and in 2 to 3 weeks you should have a kritter keeper full of fry. At this point put the adults back into the nice planted tank and you are good to go. You can also take the mops and peat out and dig out the eggs, or dry the peat so it is damp and store it in bags, but that is a lot of work and I think touching the eggs is bad. Email off list and I will send you a couple articles I wrote if you want an even longer version... :) but my email service is very irregular so it might take a while to get back to you.
kbird@munat.com
Kate

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.