"Lab" grade test kits.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Boomer

RF Staff
1. The kit did not come with a calibration solution so I will order one tomorrow. I should have thought of that, and Hach is SLOW on the shipping.

OK

2. mg/l=ppm yes?

Yes, they are close enough to be equal/. For us it is ~ 1.023 x ppm = mg / l

3. The low test is from 5-100mg/l (too low) and the high test is 20-400mg/l this means that for the high test each drop of titrate=1.12 dKH which seems to be a bit coarse. Should I be using a different test

If you dilute that 20- 400 by 2, then it becomes 10 - 200 ppm and 1 drop = .56 dKH. 2 meaning 1 part sample with reagent and add 1 part RO/DI water. So, it the sample was say 10 ml at normal testing you would do the 10 ml and then add 10 ml of RO/DI water to equal 20 ml and then titrate that 20 ml, where each drop now would equal 0.56 dKH.

Marty1971

Saltwater Master Test Kit Product #: 2068600US Price: $88.09Qty in Order: 0 Quantity:

http://www.hach.com/hc/search.product.details.invoker/PackagingCode=2068600/NewLinkLabel=Saltwater+Master+Test+Kit/SESSIONID%7CBzVPVEkyTWpVeU9ETTNNQ1puZFdWemRFbFFRZz09QTBsYU1USQ==%7C

Is this kits a good choice or bad choice? I know's it doesnt' test everything that i need but most, will get mostly elos for the rest of my tests.

Anyone who can tell me what should be the minimum test I should have on hand at all times?

I don't have my tank yet. I had a 125 gallon tank back in 2001-2004, I stopped because it was too hard to maintain on Sea Duty, gone way too long and stressful on wife, well, I am on my last duty station then I am retiring for good after 22 years. So, I am getting back into it, getting a 180 gallon tank, yeah CFI :) So, I am working ahead and making lists of all that I need on hand. I just need a list of all that I should have onhand to test at the starting point. Obviously, PH, Ammonia, Nitrite.....

Thanks.

Last edited:

Boomer

RF Staff
Bad choice as the parameter increments are to big. Example the pH is in 0.5 PH units. That means you are guessing between 8.0 and 8.5.

Latest posts