Quantcast

Lace rock

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

zeltar

Proud new papa....
If it is the same stuff I have seen before, I would not put it in my SW tank. I believe that it's made from concrete. I used it in a FW setup years ago but thinks the use a concrete concoction in some type of mud mold to get the cavities in it.

Just my thoughts anyway.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
I beleive Lace rock is natural forming. I have had a couple of huge peices in my tank for around 6 years now. It will get covered with Corraline algae and will have a ton of feather dusters attach to it (well at least in my tank it does) I dont think your could count on it for very much in the way of filtration, but it makes good base rock.

Mike

MzWeazelle

Lace rock is definitely nice for building, and like mojoreef's mine is covered in corraline and tiny feather dusters. I know the stuff I get is natural.

I know some people have experimented with rock made from concrete, which of course would mean you could make it any shape you want. From what I've read, if you don't cure and clean it right it can really cause problems. That may be what DonW has seen happen.

DonW

R.I.P.
I'm just looking at some alternatives to the expensive LR for the base. Most places sell base for the same price as the nice stuff.

I found dead in a box 40lbs for $60 at Premium Aquatics
Hirocks has dead for I think $90 for 60lbs delivered
Lfs has Lace Rock for 1.50lb

Don

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Lace rock is safe. Sometime ago someone sent some to Dr. Ron on Reef Central for him to check out, and according to him it is safe in saltwater. I've had some in my tank for years without any known issues from it.

It's only downside is it is more dense than liverock so you add a lot more weight per piece of rock than you would with liverock, so IMO the lacerock isn't nearly as good for denitrification.

DonW

R.I.P.
Well I went and looked at the lace rock. Kind of cool stuff. I may use a few pieces for shelves. It just doesnt look right. Probably great for FO or fresh.

Don

dnjan

alveopora
When we set our tank up four years ago, we paid about $0.75/lb for lace rock from a landscape supply. Made an excellent base to stack the "good stuff" on.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts