Quantcast

Lighting in a 180 gallon tank...Help Please?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I have a friend that recently purchased lights for his 180 gallon tank. The tank demensions are 20 inches Deep, 18 inches wide and 6ft long. He purchased a system with 3 250 watt halides. The series consist of 2 20k 250 watt MH and 1 10k with I think 320 watts of VHO. He is concerned how high he can mount these lights. I have been told to try to mount the lights about 9 inches from water. His cabinet he has made allows him 15inches.
Is this too high to grow most or all SPS corals?

Thanks in Advance
Ed Hahn

kevinpo

Expert
Hi Ed,
The dimensions you are giving are for a 112 gal tank. Are you sure they are correct? A standard 180 Allglass tank is 6'x24"x24".

Regards,
Kevin

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
shoot...I just know it is 20 inches Deep. The lights Jeff Lee bought from you are the ones I am talking about. He has a canopy that allows the lights to be mounted at 15 inches above water level. I was concerned if this was too high?

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I bet it is the demensions you decribed. Jeff told me it was 20 inches to substrate. So maybe he has 4 inches of Sand bed?

kevinpo

Expert
Yes Jeff's tank is a standard 180 gal. The light setup he bought can be hung from the inside of the canopy to any height he wishes. Even if he mounts it flush to the lid the actual bulb will be 2-3" lower because of the way it's constructed.

Also he is driving the 10,000K's with a HQI ballast which will produce about 20% more intensity than a standard magnetic ballast.

Regards,
Kevin

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Sweet...I did not know they were HQI's. Jeff will be visiting here soon. I hope he sees this. Thanks Kevin for your help
Ed

kevinpo

Expert
There are a couple of eyes that came with the fixture. They can be screwed into the top. Then chain or hooks can be used to achieve the desired distance from the water.

HTH,
Kevin

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.