Quantcast

Lighting

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

ap714

Hello and hopefully this finds you Anthony... I was wondering if in a 120 gallon tank 48X24X24 with about 5 inches of sand...leaving 19 inches in the water column will 2 - 175 watt 10 K Ushios and 4 110 watt VHO's be enough to Healthily sustain SPS corals and perhaps a few clams ?

Anthony Calfo

you have plenty of watts overall... and a good intensity/watts per lamp avg for the depth of this tank... but its a bit too much blue if you are opting for lamps colder than 10k K. I'd ease up on the blue in the VHOs. Try instead 2 50/50s with 2 actinic blues... or even 2 straight daylights with 2 blues.

But if using 4 straight blue VHOs.... I'd use a warmer MH lamp (6500K). This will insure you have adequate daylight for the popular zooxanthellate species. I worry that the MH just isnt enough daylight if 14-20k K in particular.

This is all speculation without knowing the species you wish to keep. It is the most important thing in fact - picking your specific corals/list before you (can) pick your lights.

food for thought :)

Anthony

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts