lights

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

T

tbruzz

I was wondering if this sounds like overkill?

My aquarium is 98x36x36, mostly sps. I have 2 dual 400w pft hqi ballast (2ushio and 2 radium) 1 660 icecap(4x38 super r) 2 x 250 ice cap(iwasaki). The lights turn on at 11am with the super r's until 1pm, at 12pm the iwaski turn on andturn off at 1pm, at 1 the 4x400 turn on and stay until 8pm. Then the iwasaki and the super r's turn on with iwasaki turning off at 9 and the super r off at 11pm. Is this too much lighting???

thanks,
tracy

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I won't begin to analize your regimen though I would ask: What are your results? Do you like how things look and are they happy and healthy? There isn't a light source I know of that can match sun energy levels ;) It does sound like you could save on some electricity though :)

big t

tankless
It sounds like you have a pretty good sps and clam lighting setup. So do you have any problems w/ the water getting too hot? As long as your corals are responding well to it, I don't think it is too much. That is a nice big tank you got there, I would love a 550! :D

T

tbruzz

The aquarium is the basement, minnesota(16 below 0 without windchill). The water gets to about 83 at the top. I have the lights 12 inches above the water. I never have all the lights one at the same time, I noticed that having the 65k on for 2 hours a day and the 20k on for 7 hrs=9hrs metal hallide.5 hours of vho's. I think i am saving energy the 65k=500watts for 2hrs and 20k=1600watts for 7 hours. I noticed growth and awesome coloring by doing this way.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
seems like good lighting to me. I guess you trying to mimic high noon lighting???. as long as you have a healthy tank and see growth you should be fine.

Mike