Quantcast

Live Rock In A Bucket

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

idgy

Could I cure my live rock in a big bucket and leave it there for awhile to see what bad hitch hikers I see and then put the rock in my tank?

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Idgy,
I see a lot of people doing this. I see hang on skimmers or skimmers plumbed with water circulation in the containers that holds the Live Rock. When you buy your Live Rock you usually see a container with some type of circulation and and skimmer plumbed to it.

Hope this helps
Ed

idgy

Ed,

I see you mentioned a yellow head sleeper gobie, do you have a pair or just one?

I thought they like to be in pairs and I was wondering if you had just one and how he or she was doing alone.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I had one. They like Mysis shrimp. Mine was...very personable. He would still be alive today if not for my power being shut off while transporting my inhabitants. I may try to get another. He was my In Laws favorite fish. I am Bare bottom now. I may just make a little sand pile in a container for my next one to play in. I miss that guy. I wish you luck.

Elmo18

Clownfish
Curing live rock in a tub is fine, and a lot of people do it :)

Make sure the water is at or near normal seawater in Specific Gravity, place a heater in there, and also put something to circulate or move water around.

If you are wanting a quick way to not get any hitchhikers with your rock, you can do a high salinity dip, although if you are doing that, you also risk of losing some 'good' hitchhikers. However, in my opinion it is safe enough. You would make water in a bucket at 1.030 or a little higher, dip the rock in and shake it a bit. The hitchhikers will scuttle out (i.e. mantis shrimp).

- Elmo :)

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Another little trick is to pour sparckling water over the rocks, boy do they jump in a hurry.

Mike

NaH2O

The stone crab I tried to get out using club soda was a stubborn gal. It took a liter of the soda poored directly on her (also tried boiling water), then I switched to a skewer. :)

Sometimes, hitchhikers happen - and you have to take it in stride. I'm hoping to kill any that came on my current rock with my ultra high ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates while it's curing.

Scooterman

Administrator
NaH2O said:
The stone crab I tried to get out using club soda was a stubborn gal. It took a liter of the soda poored directly on her (also tried boiling water), then I switched to a skewer. :)

Sometimes, hitchhikers happen - and you have to take it in stride. I'm hoping to kill any that came on my current rock with my ultra high ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates while it's curing.
I tried these also, the skewer works in most cases, ammonia spikes never worked for me, they are tuff buggers!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts