Quantcast

Live rock in refugium

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Elmo18

Clownfish
Just 2 extra pieces. I think too much and detritus will start to settle between them...on them, etc and will need to be cleaned up.

- Elmo

Dr B

I agree, fuges can be bad for collecting detritus.
What you can do though when you do a water change is take the rock out of the fuge and shake it out in your old water to get some of the detritus out. If you do this it wont be a problem.
Use minimal rock if you are growing pods in there and wont want to take the rock and shake it out.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Ok, thanx for the replies so far. I do have a bunch of pods in there, in a couple of piles of rubble rock that are in the corners. I think I have about 25 lbs of rock in mine now, do you guys think that maybe I could break up the larger pieces and make more rubble piles? That would also give me the choice of more rocks to put frags on. What do you think?

Dr B

Its really not that big of a deal =D.

The pods will love it if you made a bigger pile of rubble rock, but if your fuge seems to catch a lot of detritus it may be hard to clean. Then again if your running sand in you fuge if you probably are, the detritus will settle in there more than the rock most likely. Probably no sweat.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Bobby, It is an existing 75 gallon fuge, just doin some work on it :D
Matt, I think the rubble pile is a good idea, I now have several. Did you ever get moved?

NaH2O

Well....I have just under 30 pounds or so in my fuge.....and only live rock in it (no sand or other substrate). I want the extra filtration the live rock provides. I have 3 - maxijet 600s in there for circulation, and siphoning up the detritus is pretty easy - it has become part of my regular maintenance, as did blowing the detritus off the rocks. The goal for my fuge is filtration, pod propagation, and extra water volume (+ the sump water volume).

NaH2O

It is a maxi-jet 600 pumping up from the sump and gravity fed back into the sump. The original plan was to be gravity fed to the tank, but I have changed my mind (imagine that). I like the current location of it on the middle shelf of the side cabinet. It makes it really easy to maintain.

Here is a shot shortly after the uncured rock was placed in it.

me35

I am still staying where I was for now looking for the right place. I am going to make some piles as soon as I get some rubble. What kind of macros do you have in the fuge. also mine is under the tank because of space limations. I do know that I still get pods that make it past my pump. I geuss the only evidance that I have is a fat and happy green spoted Manderain.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Does the Diet Pepsi help the curing process:D . That looks alot like my set up except for the fact that I'm using a Mag9.5 to supply mine. That and the fact that I've got a 2" sand bed.....

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Matt, I've got some chaeto, razor caulerpa and some Kind of red bubble caulerpa that I got from Reeftopia. Good luck in finding the right spot, it's tough these days!!!

NaH2O

LOL - the soda can was for size comparison :D. No macro algaes in my fuge....I didn't want to deal with any toxin issues. Hopefully, my maintenance and "waste removal" will be sufficient enough that I won't have a need for macro nutrient export. I also have a ton of rubble in there.

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
I have about 15Lbs in a circle in the first section of the sump. The overflow empties into the middle of it. The turbulence keeps them relitively free of detritus. There is big ball of cheato in the next chamber down, but I dont have them in the same spot. Just my method.

-Erik

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts