Quantcast

Loose mushroom

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MzWeazelle

I have a small mushroom colony that seems to be doing quite well.

A week or so ago one detached from the shell they were all on and has been loose in the tank. It usually ends up at the back of the tank, but isn't re-attaching. I did manage to get a hold of it and glue it to a small rock, but after a few days it detached again.

The rest of the mushrooms are still doing well, although my snails keep pushing the shell over!

Do I need to check anything in my tank, or is this just something that happens now and then?

Thanks for any thoughts.

MzWeazelle

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Mushrooms don't seem to be very glue-able. I usually try to either place them in gravel in a low flow area of the tank (there are very few in mine), or do the following:

Place them on a small rock and wrap the top of the rock (with the mushroom) loosely with a very open type of netting and secure it with a rubber band. The netting must have holes small enough to keep the mushroom in, but large enough to allow good water flow and light penetration. Keep the mesh fairly loose so as to minimize the irritation to the mushroom, since they slime a lot.

Within a short time the mushroom should attach, and you can remove the netting and place the mushroom wherever you wish.

Pretty cool when this happens, huh?

jasontatro

Wiseguy
It can take a mushroom 3-4 weeks to attach. Glueing won't work, as lay will just slime off. Try this:

1. Cut the bottom off of a yogurt or margarine container (about 1" high")

2. Fill it with a good size gravel or pices of LR rubble.

3. Place the mushroom on top and then cover with some bridal veil (mesh)

4. Wrap a rubberband around the container to keep the mesh in place.

5. Place in a low flow low light part of your tank

6. In about 3-4 weeks you can take the piece of rock that the shroom has attached to, and glue it in place somewhere.

Hope this helps

MzWeazelle

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like I far from the first person to have this problem. :lol:

I think the little bugger has taken things out of my hands by floating to the back of the tank, where I can see but not reach it. It looks like it may have attached, but all that's back there is sand. Do they attach to sand?

We will be having to tear the reef apart due to a completely different issue (see "Wrasse problem" under general discussion) so I'll see what it's up to when that happens.

MzWeazelle

kevinpo

Expert
I bury mushrooms that detatch (or ones I peel off my clams) in reef rubble which consists of 1-2" pieces of rock. This holds them in place and they will climb on to them to get to the light. Do not worry about harming them. Even when completely buried they will climb up through the rock.

HTH,
Kevin

oregon gorge

shrooms

If one jumped ship, you will likely have more. When they get crowded out, they move on to a better neighborhood. Keep an eye out for them to get loose from their base. You can help them along with a powerhead aimed at them. This also works for problem shrooms too. They dont like it and will move.

I put LR rubble in the bottom of a short wide glass. These will allow water change with little flow. It is easy to move the glass around, in and out. I find it alot easier than the netting thing I used to do:D

This is a good problem to have and gives you free frag trading stock! Now how cool is that? Are they cool shrooms or everyday shrooms?

Good luck, Chris

Last edited:

oregon gorge

shrooms

If one jumped ship, you will likely have more. When they get crowded out, they move on to a better neighborhood. Keep an eye out for them to get loose. You can help them along with a powerhead aimed at them. This also works for problem shrooms too.

I put LR rubble in the bottom of a short wide glass. These will allow water change with little flow. It is easy to move the glass around, in and out. I find it alot easier than the netting thing I used to do:D

This is a good problem to have and gives you free frag trading stock! Now how cool is that? Are they cool shrooms or everyday shrooms?

Good luck, Chris

MzWeazelle

I don't think they are anything particularly special, but I like them! The one that detached is blue, most of the rest are kind of brown with green bumps. The green shines very green when they are shrunk up under the actinics.

MzWeazelle

MzWeazelle

Here's a picture of the mushrooms before one wandered off. The blue one in front is the one that let go. (I hope the attachment works this time!)

MzWeazelle

OneOfDaZZZ

I have had success in the past with drilling small 1/2 inch deep holes in the LR and stuffing the shroom in. If it is a low flow area they should have no problem attaching.

MzWeazelle

I'll have to keep the gladware and rubble idea in mind - sounds interesting.

I don't know what it's attached to, but the sneaky little fellow has definitely rooted in the back of the tank behind a bunch of rocks. Oh, well ... apparently it likes it there. I tried several times to place it somewhere I liked, but as soon as it extended in the light it would be off again! I didn't realize how few places in my tank had a low water flow.

By the way, how big do these buggers get anyway? I'm sure they are extending more just because they have gotten comfortable with their surroundings, but I swear some have nearly doubled in size since I got them a couple months ago.

Vandur

MzWeazelle,

Most of my Blue/Red shrooms stay around the 3" range, though I have a couple in really poorly lit areas that are a bit larger (and they strech a good distance too).

Your expereince my vary. :D

My Blue 'Shrooms

~Vandur

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts