Quantcast

Low Calcium

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MINIATUS

I have just 4 test for Calcium with 4 different test kits, all are reading about 280ppm. I also test my KH with 3 different test kits and they all read 8KH in dkh or 2.86meq/L which is normal . How do I raise my Calcium levels without changing my KH/ALK.
I questioned this because I was testing to see if the Salifert Kit was out of whack. I guessed Wrong.

MINIATUS:confused:

Alice

Are you adding a calcium supplement of any kind or using a reactor? If so, the magnesium levels are probably low which will keep your calc levels from coming up.

MINIATUS

Alice
The only thing I use is Kalk. Should I get a Magnesium additive and if so recommmend one PLEASE.

NaH2O

I think the specific gravity is too low. IMO, bump up your specific gravity to 1.026 for a proper salinity level of 35ppt, then see where your Ca/alk/Mg levels are at. From there you can do some supplementation.

MINIATUS

Nikki
Got my SP up to 1.025 but calcium stayed the same. Took a sample of water to the LFS and they test both Calcium and Magnesium. They had readings of 280 ppm of calcium and magnesium at 700 ppm. So Magnesium is low causing all these problem. Next step I have both Bio Calcium and Bio Magnesium from Tropic Marin. My only question is I have gone thru 1 container of Bio Calcium without any improvement. Till I geta test kit what would be the best way to use the Magnesium, do I follow the instruction and check my calcium levels to see if they come up. Any help would be gretly appreciated please.

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
I've never used that particular Magnesium supplement so I would follow the directions and see how much each dose is supposed to increase Magnesium. Then start bringing it up each day. You should be at 1250~1350. Having it that low is why you can't raise your Calcium. It is just precipitating out of solution and landing on your sand.

Magnesium in Reef Aquaria

Whatever supplement you choose, I’d suggest targeting the natural seawater concentration: 1285 ppm. For practical purposes, 1250-1350 ppm is fine. I would not suggest raising magnesium by more than 100 ppm per day. If you need to raise it by several hundred ppm, splitting the addition over several days will allow you to better home in on the target concentration, and might possibly allow the aquarium to deal with impurities that may come in with the supplement.

DonW

R.I.P.
It sounds to me like your system got way out of wack. I would stop dosing everything. Do a few good water changes with a GOOD salt mix. This should help balance everthing out. Then use a two part like c-balance to bring ca and alk up to where you want them.
Then keep using them along with kalk to maintain. You may want to consider a ca reactor if the two part gets two expensive.

Don

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Normally, I would say to do this as well. However, he would have to do a massive waterchange. I.e. 50% IMO.

If he were to do a 10% waterchange with a saltmix that had 380ppm of Calcium it's going to precipitate out of solution just like any calcium additive will. Adding Magnesium will allow the Calcium in his mix to stay in solution.

Not only that, Miniatus isn't running a mangrove filter so I'm gusessing that the likely cause of his low Magnesium is his batch of salt.

Min...have you ever run calcium, alk, or magnesium on your brand new salt before it goes into your tank?

MINIATUS

I use Instant ocean salt, so maybe I will make up small batch and get some reading. Funny all this started when I had that cucumber nuke my tank. never before.

MINIATUS:exclaim:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Min I would go with Don on this one. Raising mag is a bear, trust me I just went through it over xmas, cost me a small fortune and I burnt some corals in the process. I would do 20% water changes every 2 to 3 days until you get all the parameters back to proper levels. then return to your kalk to maintain.

On a side note loose the biocalcium, it uses sugar as a carrier and will promote algae. they do that to stimulate the polyps chemically, kinda snake oilish, IMHO

Mike

Witfull

Alan, the new Oceanic salt tests great in all parameters except alk. and that is easy enough to fix with a kalk drip.

MINIATUS

Havent seen that salt up here yet. Mike even the powdered forms use the sugars as carriers. Please explain. I was doing 2 to 3 small changes a week and it still will not go up. This is getting frustrating to say the least.

MINIATUS:oops:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Min from my memory biocalcium usues glucose. Your looking for one that is Calcium Chloride Dihydrate. On the water changes were they small min?? if they were small changes it might not make the impact you need. The other route is to use Magnesium supliments to boost it back up. I would use a combination of Magnesium chloride suppliment and Epson salts Magnesium Sulfate) to bring it up..

Honestly Min I would go as high as a 25% water change before going the additive route.

Mike
mike

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Sorry 3 parts of the additive to every one part of the epson salt.

Also warner marine calcium, turbo calcium and liquid calcium dont have glucose, I am sure their are plenty more out thier to.

Mike

MINIATUS

Mike the Bio Mag contents are
Salts of Magnesium
calcium
Sodium
Potasssium
70 trace elements.

It is a white powder like regular Reef Salt.

Most of the water changes have been in the 30-35 gal area, and seeing as I have a 90gal tank &25 gal sump that should be about right.
I guess Im getting frustrated with the whole thing.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Strange it should have had more of an impact then that. Did you ever have a chance to check the new salt mix for mag??
Alan Mag is a real bear buddy, it took 4 gallons of mag chloride and 7 milk cartons of epson salts to get mine back to normal , and two months to do it. that is why I am say go for the water changes if possible. No biggie though we will get through it one way or another.
Let go through it one step at a time. Do a test on the new salt mix to make sure we got a good starting point. Stopp all dosing, if you havent done that already.
let me know on the test results.

Mike

NaH2O

Hey Min, just checking on your progress...

Have you had a chance to check your salt mix?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.