Quantcast

Lps

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

SaltwaterTeen

When I get my levels mastered and all, what lps corals will work with my lighting? I have 4-110watt VHO and 2-55watt PC in my 55gal. I have anthelia, toadstool leather, finger leather, zoos, green star polyps, mushrooms, and fiji pom pom xenia. I am really wanting a hammer, torch, frog spawn, brain, cany cane, or a plate. Thanks! JJ

wrightme43

You should have no problem at all. I grow or have grown and sold or traded all of the above under (two seprate systems) 4 (96wt) compacts, and 2 (65wt) plus 1 (96wt) compacts. They all did just fine and grew well. HTH Steve

jasontatro

Wiseguy
LPS shouldnt be a problem, but my concern would be the new gigas that you just added to your system. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

reedman

LPS will be fine in that lighting, but I have to agree with Jason...that clam really shoud have MH to reach it's hfull potential. I'd strongly consider upgrading to MH in the future to ensure the health of the clam.

Just a thought

wrightme43

Good point on the clam, I have never kept a gigas under pc. I have and still do keep 3 deresa, and 2 maxima under pc. 1 in my tank, the rest in maintence accts. All are growing and seem to be doing well. I do believe they would have more color and faster growth under MH. 2 are over 2 years old in the tanks under pc. Both Deresa, which is supposedly the most lighting tollerant. JMHO. Steve

Elmo18

Clownfish
jasontatro said:
LPS shouldnt be a problem, but my concern would be the new gigas that you just added to your system. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
While Gigas clams are most likely found in more nutrient rich waters than say croceas and maximas on the upper reef slopes, they do still need light. I would think his lighting is sufficient supposing the clam is at max 10" below the water line. I would put it higher.

The bigger question is...why place a Gigas in a 55 gal?

- Elmo :)

SaltwaterTeen

Yea, later in the future we are going to add a 250watt MH, just need to wait and get a good price. We are going to make a custom hood and set the MH in middle of the VHO's :D

DonW

R.I.P.
Elmo18 said:
While Gigas clams are most likely found in more nutrient rich waters than say croceas and maximas on the upper reef slopes, they do still need light. I would think his lighting is sufficient supposing the clam is at max 10" below the water line. I would put it higher.

The bigger question is...why place a Gigas in a 55 gal?

- Elmo :)

They get just plain huge. Its going to be pretty hard to keep him up on the rock work when he starts growing. When he out grows your tank you can easily trade him for a smaller species. Heck I'd use it as an excuse to get a bigger tank. :)

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.