Quantcast

Magnesium and Strontium

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

WaterDogs

I use Instant Ocean salt and change 10 gallons a week out of a 75 gallon reef tank that is mostly clams and SPS. My stocking level is med-high. My question is do I need to test for Magnesium and Strontium and dose if needed or are my water changes more than enough! Thanks for any info!!

Dwaine :)

DonW

R.I.P.
WaterDogs said:
Isn't the Mg range something like 1200-1350? Doesn't IO fall into that range?

Dwaine

Yes, you just want to test to make sure your WC is keeping up with it. Just depends on your system demand.

Don

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Dwaine Mag doesnt get used up as much as cal or alk,but it still does get used and pairs up with everything. I think its a good idea to check it once and awhile. I fell a sleep on it for about a year and it began depressing my PH it was so low. It took forever to get it back up to a normal level, a real bear. I went through gallons of Mag. chloride and epson salts. Checking it every month or so cant hurt.

Mike

WaterDogs

Thanks both of you for the info. I bought a Mg kit and IO mixed up with RO/DI comes out to 1020-1040 at a SG of 1.023. My tank is at 1.025 and measures at 1440 but I just switched from Oceanic salt a few weeks ago to IO is why it is so high. I will test weekly till I find out how much is being consumed. The IO does look about 200 points low from a target value of 1250.

Dwaine

Boomer

RF Staff

mattseattle

WaterDogs said:
Thanks both of you for the info. I bought a Mg kit and IO mixed up with RO/DI comes out to 1020-1040 at a SG of 1.023. My tank is at 1.025 and measures at 1440 but I just switched from Oceanic salt a few weeks ago to IO is why it is so high. I will test weekly till I find out how much is being consumed. The IO does look about 200 points low from a target value of 1250.

Dwaine
I mixed up IO the other day to 1.025 and Mg came out at 1200. Still a tad low but not that bad.

WaterDogs

Thanks Boomer for all the reading! It very educational! Now I have one more thing to keep track of it my tank.

Any thoughts on the Strontium concentrations or do most salts contain an adequate amount not worth measuring or dosing?

Dwaine

Boomer

RF Staff
Water

That last link I posted above gives Sr levels for a number of salts, but the article is rather old but they are about the same.

The Composition Of Several Synthetic Seawater Mixes
http://web.archive.org/web/20030608...om/fish2/aqfm/1999/mar/features/1/default.asp

You must like to read :lol:

Strontium and the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2003/chem.htm

Magnesium and Strontium in Limewater
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/chem.htm

Final note, I wouln't be adding Sr unless you have a test kit, same thing for borate, especailly borate.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.