Quantcast

Mangroves

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
Anthony,

I saw your article about Mangroves and have just a few questions.

What I was thinking is a simple raised furniture type plant stand with a 12x12x12 cube to house one maybe two mangroves. This would set next to my stand like a normal house plant.
Could I use a standard 40w grow light bulb on a reverse photo period?
How much water flow from the sump would your recomend?
Should a small PH be used for circulation also?

Don

northstaraquatics

The Lone Reefer
Don,
Where did you see the article? I have six or eight mangroves in a small box(an old overflow hang on the tank) with a hole in the bottom. All my RO drips through the box. Mangroves are growing well for the first time for me, but the box is getting cramped and leaves are getting too close to the lights. Time to move them, yet I don't want to kill them. I bought mine on ebay from Hawaii.

Take Care,
Jon

Anthony Calfo

cheers, Don... in a pot this size you could only grow a mangrove or two from seed for 1-3 years before they blow out the pot. While not very big topside, their root systems substratum are massive and powerful.

Flow is a non issue... they grow in rank sulfur smelling stagnant areas. Just a few hundred GPH will be fine as from a bleeder line off the sump pump or from a small powerhead.

kindly,

Anthony

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts