Quantcast

Marine Biology Class Seeking Reef Tank

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MarineDreamerII

I am a student in a Marine Biology class at Lake Stevens High School and, with my teachers permission, am seeking feed back from those of you who are in a position to help out . I am wanting to know how many of you out there are willing to donate/sell at discounted prices to our class. I owe my enthusiasm to my brother (MarineDreamer) whom some of you may know. However, many other students in my class are not as fortunate to have a cool older brother. I, and my teacher, would like to inspire curiosity and appreciation into students as much as we can, and we both agree that an aquarium would definately make that easier. If you would like you can go to my schools web site and under "Staff" find Ms. Summers. If you would like to communicate directly with her, her email is sarah_summers@lkstevens.wednet.edu. The schools budget is minimal is best, especially compared to the p[rice that can result in setting up a Live Reef (LPS) system. Thoughts, comments, questions... please respond. you time and help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Hey MD2,

How big of a system are you looking to set up? A little more info would be helpful. I'm sure folks here would be glad to help out.

Good Luck,
Scott .......LSHS "77"

Last edited:

MarineDreamerII

More info (Mar. Bio seeks tank)

At this point we are not sure what size and specifics. Probably as realistic as possible. first we wanted to get a "feel for the water" so to speak. We were not sure how many people would be interested in helping us out. '77 huh? WOW. I am will be the class of '05. Appreciate the interest and I am looking forward to talking more with you in the near future. I will know more when I talk it over with my teacher.

dnjan

alveopora
Since a reef tank is a "long-term committment", I would want to make sure that it will be taken care of over summer. These aren't really "set up now for a display and take down in a few weeks or months" kind of projects. At least not if a person respects the animals being put into the tank. I wish you luck with this (and would probably contribute a Montipora cap to the project if I felt that it would be taken care of long-term).

MarineDreamerII

Marine Bio Class Marine Tank

Ron-

Taking care of the tank over the summer would not be a problem. I understand the fact that this is not just a "small" project and that it will require time and hard work to keep running. Both i and my teacher understand this and she is willing to kep up the tank during the summer. I appreciate your concern and if you have any useful tips and pieces of information it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MarineDreamerII

Mike-
When you say "put something together" do you have any idea about what size the tank would be? I know that beggers can't be choosers but I think that I heard that for begginers that bigger is better, since the more water you have the harder it is for one thing to hurt the overall water chemistry. Is this correct? Thank you and we'll be talking some more in the near future... hopefully my teacher will be able to get an e-mail off to you today.
-MDII

dnjan

alveopora
It would probably be a real good idea for at least one of you (you or your teacher) to join PSAS and attend the January meeting. Lots of information, good to meet the people who will be helping you face-to-face, etc.

Sounds like a good project. I will be watching to see how things are going, and when you will be ready for live additions.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts