Quantcast

May be out of your league

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Krish

RF STAFF
Does anyone know if you can buy a fine substrate similar to that of sand that will not buffer your ph too high. I'm thinking on setting up another tank (freshwater in this one for my wife) and I want a fine substrate that will not raise my ph above neutral. I don't really want to use "gravel" as such...I love the look of fine grain, but I don't necessarily want it white like sand. An example is like caribsea's fine grain cichlid mix (if any of you are fimiliar with it) but one, like I said, that doesn't buffer the ph too high...I'm doing a discus and maybe freshwater stingray for help.

wrightme43

thaitian black moon sand. Aragalive has it but not alive and it does not buffer at all
If you go to drs foster and smiths website and look for sands you will find it. I am sure someone on here sells it as well I just dont know who. Try marine depot they are a sponsor and should have it. HTH Steve

wrightme43

all right pg 19 of marine depots 2005 catalog
Item #cs0821
price 13.90 for 20lbs plus actual shipping as a heavy item.
It is jet black and extra fine. will not effect ph.
Is that what your looking for?
Steve

Krish

RF STAFF
Yeah, that's it, but do you know if you can get that exact same thing in a more natural color? Thanks for your help Steve.

wrightme43

Not as far as I know, but I am not very bright. LOL I know builders sand is too jagged for freshwater rays, and I think play sand is more rounded. That might work as it is silca based unstead fo aragonite based. I dont know what the results of silica in a freshwater system would be though. Sorry. Steve

Krish

RF STAFF
Thanks Steve. I don't think there is anything other than the black moon sand which you suggested. I'll have to search a little more.

dnjan

alveopora
You might want to look at silica sand for sandblasting. (Of course, you only want a bag of new sand, not sand already used for sandblasting.) Try checking machine shops, etc. This material should be a bit off-white, and will be natural looking.

Crows Ridge

I got either 90-100 lb. bag at home depot for $6.00, not the dirty stuff (play sand) but on another isle, they had this very white sand.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts