Quantcast

MH / TV reception problem

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MzWeazelle

I'm having to put my MH bulbs on a split schedule because they make our TV unwatchable when it's on the local channels, which we have to use an antenna to get. The rest of the time we use a satellite dish, which is unaffected by the lights. So, between 5pm & 8pm I have to have the MHs off.

Is anyone else having this problem, and have you had any luck fixing the interference?

MzWeazelle

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
I beleive thier is a noise filter you can get for that. Go to a radio shack they should have it and know the fix also.

Mike

sharks

Mike is right. It’s called a RF filter.
The ballasts (more so with E-ballasts) can affect TV reception.
I got one for the outlet the ballast is plugged into and another for the coax connection on the TV.
They don't always fix it though :(
HIH
S

Alice

I'm glad someone came up with the name of that filter; I couldn't remember the name of it for the life of me. I had to use one at my old place.

MtnDewMan

I use an aquacontroller to control just about everything. I have an icecap ballast and pfo magnetic ballasts. For some reason those X-10 modules are sensitive to power signal noise ... I have resorted to normal timers for the MH lighting and now all is fine. No random turning on or off of the ballast.

I am sure it is the same effect for you but with the TV. Those filters should help.

sharks

The X-10’s are notorious for this.
Also replacing the Coax connectors will help. I went with the gold screw down ones. If you use those cheap push on connectors that come with VCR’s, well they pick up more interference then the screw downs. With the filters, Gold coax terminations, and making new cables with all screw type conectors I got the noise down to a bare minimum.
My biggest leak was a rusted old splitter outside the house. It was just on the other side of the wall near the tank. I swapped that out and sealed it tight. After that there was no visible distortion on the TV.
Good luck I hope this helps since it drove me nuts for a while.:mad: :evil: :cry: :idea: :rolleyes:
S

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.