Quantcast

Micro Bubbles

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

reefer

I just go done setting up a new 125 with bottom drains. The pump is a Gen X GX 8500. It is way to powerfull for the overflows and has to be throttled down. I'm getting a lot ov micro bubbles. I think the impeller is cavitating being as it is throttled down.

Does anyone have any experience with the possibility of cavitation? Or what ever else it may be? My sump water looks clear on the oulet end.

kevinpo

Expert
Hello,
The pump will only cavitate if you have throttled down the intake or suction side of the pump. It can be difficult to see micro-bubbles in the sump if you are looking from the top down. Also if the tank is newly set up there is a tendency to have a lot of micro-bubbles. They will go away in a few weeks. It has been my experience (Charles Delbeek also remarked about this) that micro bubbles are not harmful for fish or corals.
Sometimes although rare there can be a tiny leak on the suction side of the pump if you are using an external pump this allows a small amount of air to be sucked in through a fitting or joint causing the bubbles. You can put some silicone grease around the joints and see if the bubbles stop.

Regards,
Kevin

DonW

R.I.P.
I am assuming you are using the black submersible one. If not just ignore my ramblings.

An 8500 is not much pump what size are your drains? Is it submersed? You say throttled down, are you using the adjuster on the pump or a ball valve after the pump?? If your using the adjuster that will cause bubbles from a gen-x submersible. Do you have the cover on the front? I run dual 6000 submersed with no cover wide open, if the sump level drops it creates a tiny whirlpool and sucks air into the pump. You have to look closely to see it.
You may also want to bag yor tank drains. Just in case its comming from your drains and you just cant see them.

Hope this helps
Don

reefer

You are right DonW,

I removed the front cover and throttled it down with ball valves. The front adjusting cover when used for throttling down the pump did just like you said. Thanks for the great advise.

Kevinpo,

The pump cover restricts the water intake which in turn cavitated the pump.
Good call both of you.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.