Quantcast

Micro stars that eat coral..

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I have a overpopulation of little micro stars that eat coral. They are very small and look like a smaller version of chocolate chip star with red highlights. I am considering buying some clown or harlequin shrimp to rid these guys. I have been picking them off corals. Any suggestions for what to do?
thanks in advance,
Ed

gobie

dave the gobie
Ed Go With The Shrimp .If You Have Serpents Or Brittle Stars you will need to move them for the time being.

Last edited:

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hi Ed.

Those are Asterina sp. . They range from off-white to a light tan color. Most starfish in this genus are algae and bacteria feeders. However, some do chow on SPS tissue.

One interesting note is that of their body. They are often irregular because they reproduce (like any other star), by dropping legs.

They can grow to plague proportions. One way to eradicate these, and if you don't have other reef safe stars, is to get a Harlequin shrimp. You can then capture the shrimp later after the situation is under control.

- Elmo

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Thanks Elmo,
I appreciate the info, I just know they are a pain and definitely eat SPS.
I would love to see some Harlequin Shrimp in my tank. I may do that after this week end. I will just continue to pluck them from my tank. I want to see you guys and Eric Borneman. I have been watching the weather for my road trip. I have been talking to a friend that may come with me. That is the only thing that is slowing me down. I am pretty excited. OOPs, I better get back to subject. I think other people should know how nasty these guys are...
Ed

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts