Quantcast

mini-stars...can you have too many?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

reedman

I have legs all over the place in my tank from these little guys. I am always pulling them out with the halimeda that I pull out. I try to throw them back in, but I am curious if they have any detrimental effects in high numbers (like bristle worms...a few is good, and outbreak is not so good).

Thanks in advance,
-Reed

NaH2O

I would look at it as a sign that they have enough of a food source, or else you wouldn't see such a large population. If you are concerned, then maybe think about your husbandry practices....have the rocks been blasted often enough, do I feed too much, is waste being removed in a timely fashion. IMO, I really wouldn't be overly concerned....all part of clean-up....except they poop, too :) . Also, you might notice the population wax and wane with food availability, and you are just noticing the growing phase. I'd be happy to see them doing their job - you might even find some locals that could use a few for a newly set-up system.

reedman

Thanks Nikki.

As far as husbandry, I am sure I could blast the rocks every day and have some detritus come out due to underskimming (I'm working on that part). If it were too much food I would expect to get over run by algaes (I'm not). I guess I am happy about this, just didn't want to find out too late that a large population would cause problems.

I think that the overall health of the tank is good and perhaps there is a little too much detritus as you suggest. If I add much more flow I will have fish that just ride the currents instead of swimming ;). Once I upgrade skimmers I'm sure a lot of the detritus scavengers will essencially starve.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
LOL Reed I had the same question a little while ago. I had millions of the things, an arm sticking out of every hole and creves

MIke

iamjosh

Mojo & Reed - Pack em up and bring them to the spokane meeting Nov 6th, Its at my house I'd be glad to hold on to them for ya ;-)

Wolfesbane

Seahorse Wrangler
I have the little guys with black & white striped legs. If you have a different kind, I'd be happy to give any extras a home, Reed. :)

~ Steve

snobanker

I have a ton of the little guys too. They came on the pieces of LR that the zoos Mojoreef gave me were on........I think the little guys are pretty cool. They have climbed into my existing rock now, but I don't think I have too many...... yet.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts