Missing Lawnmower Blennie

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
Well yesterday morning I noticed that I couldn't find my blennie hidding in his normal places in the rocks...I searched the entire tank. Even when feeding yesterday afternoon I thought for sure that he would have showed up by then, but there is still no sign of him.

I've searched all around the tank and can't find any signs that he decided to commit suicide, and I've yet to see any signs of a dead carcas in the tank. Anyone have any ideas of what could have happend? He was there on Sunday afternoon, but gone as of yesterday morning (Monday). Is it possible that the hermit crabs could have devoured him that quickly if he died?

Is it possible for a large BTA to have eaten him if he got too close? The anemone is ~10 - 12" across, and the blennie was ~ 4" x 1" in diameter. The anemone was completely open yesterday morning, and his hosting clown was there as well; I assumed that if he had eaten him it would have been closed up while digesting him.

I'm going to keep looking this afternoon when I get home, but in the mean time does anyone have any ideas? I wasn't aware that blennies were jumpers, but anything is possible. I've had this guy for ~8 months and no problems or signs of fighting between him and other fish, so I don't know what could have made him jump if he did.

Thanks,

Eliyah

Witfull

it is more than possible that the anemone got him. also a good clean up crew could have munched him in the night with out remains being seen.

NaH2O

Eliyah-

It's possible that the critters cleaned up the fish, but I would think that you might see some sign. What else is in the tank? Did you check in your canopy and all around - overflow boxes, any plumbing that he could have gotten into?

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
As far as fish go, there is a percula and tomato clown, a 6-line wrasse, and a pink spotted watchman gobbie. The blennie was the second largest fish next to the gobbie. I've got approximately 10 - 15 blue legged hermit crabs, and 10 astrea snails and 4 turbos.

I've checked everywhere around the tank, and luckily there is no plumbing that he could get into. Is it possible that it burried itself in the sand..it's not something I've ever seen him do before, but maybe?

Eliyah

cdeakle

How long has he been missing? My lawnmower can easily dissapear for a few hours on me.

Then again this is my second LM blenny, the first one either jumped to his death or was thrown out of the tank by the female maroon clown I USE TO have.

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
In the first post I said that he had been missing since Monday monrning, and last seen Sunday night. And it's now been almost 48 hours since he was last seen.

I have yet to find a carcas, so I'm leaning towards something eating him, but it just doesn't seem likely since he was so large. But if it was the anenome, I could understand that.

I was planning on getting rid of the anenome when I moved the tank to my new place because it is just getting way to big for my 30 gallon tank, and now I'm wishing I'd have done it sooner, as I'll be moving the tank in a couple weeks.

Well, guess I'll have to see if anyone is interested in an anemone and his hosted clown, and then see about purchasing another LMB. :(

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Eliyah

NaH2O

Let us know if anything turns up with the move

iamjosh

I haven't seen my Twin-Spot, I'm a bit worried, but I'm hoping its hiding under the rocks :-(

Last edited:

Latest posts