Quantcast

Missing Shrimp

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I haven't seen my cleaner shrimp all day. The last I saw him was last night before the tank lights went off. I only have some hermits in my tank. Could they kill it and eat ALL the remains? I moved all rock and searched... I couldn't even find anything to show he was killed (parts) He always comes out when I stick my hand in the tank or for feedings. I don't have anything he could get stuck in or sucked up into. It's a small tank. He shed about 2 or 3 days ago so he wasn't due. Has anyone had crabs kill a shrimp??

cdeakle

He could be molting and hiding. When they are in this process they are very vulnerable and tend to hide, I would too. =)

mattseattle

they definitely do hide during molting but it usually only lasts up to 2 days or so. Beckmola24 mentions that they moved all the rock and searched.

so have you found it yet? if it died during the molt i'm sure the hermits devoured it but otherwise i don't think they would touch it. the shrimp would be too fast for them.

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
It's been 2 days now and no sign of him. I'm not too optimistic anymore. It's so discouraging since I only have a 12 gallon nano and just lost my clowns due to them fighting to death. Not giving up though, the hobby is way too cool =) Plus I still have my Dottyback in another tank and he's bright and healthy.

mattseattle

well it's pretty common for shrimp as well as crabs to die during molting. molting is a pretty tramatic thing for them....imagine shedding your entire skeletal system.

sorry to hear about your loss. keep faith though.

so you lost 2 clowns due to them fighting? where they both juveniles or adults?

reefer

If it was lost during moulting or if the crabs got him I think you'd still find the shell that he moulted out of or that the crabs ate him out of. Did he get over the top. check around the tank.

mattseattle

my hermits and my sally lightfoot eat the shrimp shell. that is why i usually leave it in there. i also have a tiger pistol that likes to use the shell to line his cave walls. :)

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
The clowns were juveniles, but I put them in at the same time becuse I didn't know to wait and the one was only slightly larger, so a dominance battle went on for about 3 months. They never really stopped. It got really bad the week before they died. The larger of the 2 picked on the little one until he died and then later died herself. I was told it would stop after awhile. I didn't know they'd kill each other.

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
This afternoon I totally cleaned out my tank and changed the substrate since I'd had a problem with Ich. It looks really nice and my single yellow polyp is doing nicely. I also switched over to a 10000 K bulb with Blue. Everything looks so clean and nice. I'll wait a week or 2 before adding anything else. I found no sign that the shrimp even existed in my tank. Kinda sad. He was cute and friendly. He'll be missed.

iamjosh

I can't find my pepermint either.. the fire is doing well.

I tihnk I'll hold till I get my new tank before I shop for much more..

-j

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.