Quantcast

Montipora foliosa

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Hey there, I was just wondering if anyone out there has had this type of monti? I got a frag in a trade, and wanted to know what kind of lighting and flow would be the best for this little guy. I'll try to post a pic later, it's kind of dark right now!
Any help will be appreciated. TIA

Vandur

Charlie,

If I am not mistaken, that is a plating Monti. correct? Most of those seem to do good for me under just about any type of light. I have had them under PC's, VHO's, and MH. The more light you give them, the happier they seem (in my case), though they did show significant growth under all 3 types of lighting.

As far as flow is concerned, I would have to say medium. I always seem to stick these in corners or something, so I haven't really had a chance to see how they do udner different flow types. Maybe someone else here can give a bit of advice on that.

Good luck! (Oh, and what color is yours?!)

~V

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Thanx for the heads up!!!
Mine is a cream color with little neon green polyps, you can't get much cuter than that!!! I'll post a pic when the lites come for sure. Thanx again.

Elmo18

Clownfish
Yup that is a great coral. The color you describe is the most common type for this species. The body isn't too much tan, but creme like you said, with green polyps. This species will not scroll as much as the Montipora capricornis.

Eventually it can become your centerpiece if you let it grow. I have kept montiporas of all kinds under VHO's, MH, and PCs. Seems that they do best under VHO's. Acclimate slowly to MH unless it is or has come from a tank with MH.

- Ilham

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Thanx,
Right now, it is out of the main lite on the right side. It came from a tank with 400w 10K,and is now under 400w 20k. It will still get alot of lite, just not direct.

SueT

Charlie, sounds like a great new frag you have there. This lighting you are going to put this frag under is going to be great for the piece. I bet it'll grow good for you plus have extreme colors. Sounds awesome. This is a great montipora to have.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Sue,thanx. I got another question tho, will this coral encrust to the rock or should I get the old glue out and do some arm coral work?

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hi Charlie, in my experience it would be better to super glue the frag at an angle (30-45 degrees, maybe less or more) . They will scroll. I have tried fragging my M. capricornis and just left the frag on top of another rock without gluing it, but all it did was scroll and didn't encrust at all on the rock. I would be afraid if some snail or hermit or whatever, decided to go balance on it and made the frag fall and break the piece. I think its safer to just glue near the base and watch that thing grow :)

- Ilham

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Elmo18
Thanx for the info:cool:
Kevin, I'll try and get a pic tonite, all of a sudden I haven't had as much time as I had a month ago:( Work is &*%$ !!!!!!! You know about me and pictures anyways.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.