Moonlight

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Illusion

I got a dimmer switch and would like to try and duplicate the carribean moonlight schedule as close as possible.. I understand its not going to be like having a controller do it for me But I figure it will be close enough.. I plan on making marks along the Rotary Dimmer and adjusting it brighter and brighter every few days but I wanted to know approx how many weeks to a Full moon so that i can try and adjust the lighting slowly over the course of the moon cycle.. any information would be helpful.. Like I noticed our cycle for a full moon is almost 1 month (full moon may 4th- next full moon June 3rd)

Thanks again,
James

btw if i am crazy or a stupid idea for doing this please let me know as well

MzWeazelle

Don't know about your sanity :) but full moon to full moon is 28 days no matter where you are.

New moon, or lowest light level, comes half way in between with a quarter moon on each side half way between full and new moons. So, just figure to reduce your light by half over each of your first two weeks, then increase by half over each of the next two weeks. Repeat until you get tired!

DonW

R.I.P.
From what I understand you dont need to actually change the light schedule. I read a article that the corals and inverts already are reacting to the waning sp? and waxing of the moon phase. Its not the actual light, its the earths gravitational pull.
Stars are one invert that are easy to see the effects of moon phase.

Don

Illusion

Thank you.. That will help alot... I dont nee dit to be exact.. I am mearly looking for approx.. Something close.. Just want to kinda play around... I mean I hate having the moonlight on either Full or none.. Doesnt look right LOL.. That was the main purpose for the Dimmer..

Thanks again,
James

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.