Quantcast

More questions

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

deadrose

Okay. Got the Locline snapped together. Went up to the hardware store and got the piece that I suddenly realized I needed. Saltwater is stewing in a nice clean trash can.

Now, since I'm working on a small scale, I went with plastic hose and barb fittings, being as it gives me plenty of do-over room.

Can anyone give me some tips on ways to get the hose on far enough? I've tried hot tap water and managed to work it on one whole notch :?

Also, is it okay to operate my filter without the plastic prefilter housing on it? I can leave the foam prefilter on (although that would be a bit of a nitrate farm eventually, wouldn't it?) but the housing makes the filter just a hair too long for the space it has to fit in.

I have a feeling that sooner or later I'll drop it into a larger sump underneath and use a smaller one in the built-in, or something like that, but for now, I'm trying to do with what I've got. I ended up with a ViaAqua 2600, by the way, after reading some enthusiastic reviews on ReefCentral, trying to figure out if a MagDrive would even fit, and of course the fact that it was on sale for the princely sum of $24.09

Any other advice anyone can give me to help minimize the Moron cycle? I think I'm going to be doing some entertaining surgery on a pre-existing piece of furniture to make a stand... got a dresser minus drawers that was on its way out... a little height amputation and strategic reinforcement of a couple of points and i should have a nice sturdy stand, ready for doors. Plumbing may be a weak point for me, but I'm not too bad with wood.

My daughter is already complaining because I told her it would be a couple months or so before we added any fish.

Thanks,
Heidi

PS. If anyone wants to trade fresh-picked blackberries now (or Sept 13) for frags when my tank is ready, let me know. We have a bumper crop over here this year and the picking is fine :). Would give me *something* to trade at least... just let me know how much you want :)

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Can anyone give me some tips on ways to get the hose on far enough? I've tried hot tap water and managed to work it on one whole notch
I use a little cooking oil, but just a tiny bit.
Also, is it okay to operate my filter without the plastic prefilter housing on it? I can leave the foam prefilter on
Probibly a better idea, also make sure you clean that sponge often or it will become a nitrate factory.

Other then that Heidi it sounds like you got it handled pretty good.

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts