Quantcast

Multiple Angels...

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

B

Buzz_Hog

Guys,

I've got two angels. Both are very juvenile at about 1 1/2 inches each. One is an Imperator, and the other a Queen. They currently are living in harmony in a 55 gallon with a 3 inch foxface, and a pair of false percs.

I am aware that there are aggression issues between the different large variety of angels, but does this evolve through maturity, or is it innate? Since they are getting along fine now, what are the chances they will one day become aggressive towards one another?

Thanks in advance...

Another TRT Refugee seeking shelter at PSAS

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
Angels don't read books

I think that the best you can expect is the slight possibilty whrere neons live with angels. If they grow up together and don't recognize each other as compitition then they might not quarrel. Don't expect it and be prepared to move one of them. Tattered fins will be your only indication.

Fragman

Been there, Done That!

In a 55 gal system your outcome is fairly certain in my opinion. Those two particular Angels are my favorites. The fact that they get along now as Juveniles means little. As they grow the larger is likely to be the dominant one and beat up and/or kill the other. If they are close in size my money is on the Queen! If you had a larger tank the situation might be better, but in a 55 gal there is just not enough room.

In the same 100 gal. cube tank that I have all of the coral in today 15 years ago I Kept the followwing Angels all at the same time: Queen, Emperor, French, Flagfin, Navarcus, Blue Face, Bicolor, Flame, Lemon Peel, Coral Beauty. Other residents indluded a large Clown Trigger, niger trigger, Blue Tang, Snowflake eel, Percula Clowns, Lunar Wrase, Black Volitans Lion and a Yellow Tang. (You should see the pictures)

My point is that another strategy that worked for me was what I have heard called "transverse agression". I had so many Angels that a single individual was never picked out and killed. Was there some hostility? You bet! The 8 inch Queen Angel ruled the tank.

The way I see it you have four choices:
1. Get rid of one of them.
2. Get a bigger tank.
3. Get lots more big Angels.
4. Both #3 and #4 above! (Ya Baby!)

Good Luck!

Paul H.

Paladin

Angels

If it gets to a question of having to get rid of one of the angels, let me know and I will be interested in purchasing or trading some frags for one of them.

It's a tough dilemna, but as Paul H. knows, I had an aggressive Tang (member of Paul's clan now) that was dominant and killed my juvenile emperior.

They need their space or a good psychologist!

Let me know,

Tim

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.