Quantcast

multiple problems

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

plack

Sea Otter
Hi,
I tried to adjust the salinity up from 1.022.5 to 1.025 too fast and had a diamond goby that seemed like it was not eating enoughp for the past 3 months die on me and all the xenia suffered greatly it looks very withered and i've read it can die off from rain in the wild then come back in a year so i left it in now a small very small maybe 1 1/8" square sponge died off next to the xenia i've left it in and everthing else seems healthy the montipora seem's to want to grow gangbuster all other corals seem unaffected the tank is 9 months old all other parameters seem real good ( I recently upgraded to a sump from a canister and hang on and it improved everything) now the question is should i slice off the xenia and toss and consider it a small loss or should i leave it in and if so what should i do about the small sponge i put gloves on and touched it it decomposed so i pulled 1/2 of it out any suggestion's :confused:

uwscotch

Sorry to hear about the bad turn of events. I suggest removing most of the sponge. I would leave the xenia unless it starts to sluff off. If that happens, pull it. I've seen them shrivel down to a small lump and then recover. Unless it gets slimey and is obviously polluting the water, I recommend keeping it in there. Good luck and hope all works out.

aaron

gobie

dave the gobie
basically there really isn't much you can do. what is done is done. i know it is rather bleak sounding. things are pretty resiliant. may be some iodine to keep tissues that are irritated from infecting. plus iodine is good for xenia.

plack

Sea Otter
sponge is mostly gone added a little iodine now thanks :) will watch xenia water changes are 1-2 weeks apart 5-10 gallons i used a hydrometer and had is referenced to a refractometer and found it read low so i raised it but the salty's zoo thing was hard to understand so i guessed and put way too much in accidentaly like i said everything else is fine and looking very good thanks again

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts