Quantcast

My drilled 20L and DIY sump

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

TonyMc

I am Mr. Magoo
Here's progress so far on my new 20L and sump. All I need to do now is fill it with water and see how it holds up.

TonyMc

I am Mr. Magoo
The overflow is made from 6" ABS pipe that I split down the middle and drilled holes in the top. It will look alot better once I paint the back.
I'm going to use a black stand with my black 150 HQI pendant(with a new 20K bulb) and black sand. I think the corals colors will really pop against the black sand.

bradreef

always kidding
I have a 20l sump and it doesn't look as pretty as that sump. My is full of random things and cords hanging out every where.

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Hey Great DIY job Tony.:cool: My only improvement might have been drilling the BH higher in the tank and cut the overflow short. It might have saved some Reef-Estate. Every little bit helps. I know my 20 long is always cramped.
Still, very cool. Keep up the good work.
Scott

TonyMc

I am Mr. Magoo
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Elmo18. Hows that cap growing? I may have to put a frag of that in the new tank. ;) see you in the chat room.

bradreef. Wait until I get water in the thing and it will be super cluttered. You know cheato, return pump, skimmer, heater......... :badgrin:

szidls. If I wouldn't have gotten in a hurry and thought it out a little more I probably would have went with a small corner skimmer and drilled the top corner. I saw a couple of really nice ones at Kevins shop, but it was to late.

I'll get more pics as it progresses.

Last edited:

TonyMc

I am Mr. Magoo
I just painted the back. Now I just got to clean it up a bit and do some leak testing in a couple days after the silicon dries. I hope the glass doesn't crack when I put water in it. :shock:

Elmo18

Clownfish
What paint did you use?

I painted the back of a 10 gallon tank with a RustOleum Enamel Gloss black, but it easily peels.

- Elmo

TonyMc

I am Mr. Magoo
I just used some cheap stuff I bought at the grocery store LOL. I hope this peels easy because if you look in the pic those finger prints aren't on the front glass there between the back glass and the paint and it's silicon. I wiped the back down with alcohol before I painted it, but I didn't see the silicon finger prints until it was to late. Knowing my luck that cheap paint will be the strongest stuff made :D Oh well time to get out the razor blade and start scraping. I left the area where the overflow is unpainted though so I could see what's on inside the thing so this should make it easier.

TonyMc

I am Mr. Magoo
Ok. Here it is with the loc-line returns I picked up from Kevinpo at Aquatic Dreams today.

I was going to use black sand, but I got a piece of starboard from work for free so I think I'll go BB.

Now all I have to do is pick up my stand next week and get it all setup.

Last edited:

TonyMc

I am Mr. Magoo
Here it is plumbed and ready.

and with starboard.

and the sump. Notice I had to remove the frames on the tank/sump. I hope she holds :eek:

TonyMc

I am Mr. Magoo
Thanks Kevin and thanks for getting the stand so quickly for me it really looks great.

I put the water in(75% old 25% new)today along with the rock. I'll post some pics of the aquascape in a bit.

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
If you have alot of micro bubbles, you might look closely at your Loc-Line. I have micro bubbles on a semi regular bassis and its because my Loc-Line returns are mostly above water. They are not comepletely air tight.

Looks good.

Nick

TonyMc

I am Mr. Magoo
thanks for the advice Maxx. I do have some microbubbles. I'll have submerge the loc-line more and see if it goes away.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts