Quantcast

my first frag and it's growth

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

here is the first frag i picked up at the frag swap. this is also the first coral in my tank. the other frags i picked up are showing similiar growth.

picture after i first put it in the tank (September 14th):

today's picture with new growth (October 27th):

G~

Super Gobie
that is some great growth, i think, what is the time frame between the two shots. ;)

G~

mattseattle

the top picture was taken September 13th or 14th and the bottom picture was taken last night the 27th of October. since this is my first frag as well as first corals i did not know what 'good' growth was. i read that most corals put on about an inch of growth a month or so.

so how do you prune or control the growth of a coral? i know they grow towards the light but how do you make them spread out and get a good base for growth?

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Great question mattseattle, I would also be interested in info on controlling frag growth. Ie can you force thicker base by trimming down the top or anthing at all?

-Erik

Katchupoy

very nice growth

You are luck man.. mine is not growing at all... But my green slimer from Piercho is a fast grower... so what's your secret man.... is it really near the top of the water near the light... or not at all?

mattseattle

if i have a secret i don't know what it is....at least i haven't found it yet.

that picture is of the green slimer that we both got a piece of. i have about an inch and a half of new growth on one part of it and several other one inch knotches growing out of it.

my other frags are doing quite well. one is really spreading out and growing upwards. i wished i knew the correct names for all of them so i could reference them by name. guess i'm going to have to post pictures of them individually to get the 'correct' names.

switching to WM CalxMax has seemed to really spur coral growth as well as coralline growth. also i have most of the frags up pretty close to the light except for one that is about 6 inches off the sand bed.

so post some pictures of your green slimer....i wanna compare growth! :)

Katchupoy

so here's my slimer... you can't see much difference like yours but in person it grew a lot compared to my other acros.

sept 14 2003 pic...

and heres the second one taken last week Oct 07, 2003

not that much compared to yours but I'm very happy with the performance of this one...

I guess that making it horizontal makes it a fast grower or something.... and their formation is awesome like your....

Paladin

Frag

That's some impressive growth in a short period of time.

What's your water current "GPH", parameters and light set-up?

Nice Work!

mattseattle

i think alot of it has to do with the horizontal placement of the frag versus vertical. i have another frag that i placed vertically and it has some growth but not like the one in the picture above.

i have 3 maxi-jet 1200's and another 295 powerhead along with the return sump flow. lighting is 2 175w metal halides with 10k AB bulbs. i'm trying to keep calcium about 420 and alk around 3.2 or so. i've been having issues with that due to my magnesium was down to around 900 but i've slowly brought it up to 1250 in the past week.

thanks for the compliments. this is my first frag and i'm pretty proud of the growth.

mattseattle

thanks everyone!

my frags are really growing. my clam isn't doing so well though. he still has some pinching going on. i've checked for snails and sand particles and everything and i can not get the pinching to go away. i have moved the clam from the sand bed up to the rock bed right below the lights to see if maybe it's a lighting issue. that was yesterday so i'm still waiting to see if this solves the problem.

everything besides the clam is doing really well. i just can't wait to get a calcium reactor though as the constant dosing and all is getting to be a slight pain :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.