Quantcast

my first loss

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

well i had my first loss this morning. i woke up and had a hermit crab dead.

i am assuming it's semi-normal to lose a few things after an initial cycle and while the tank is new.

all my water parameters are fine....no ammonia, no nitrites and no nitrates as of now. my salinity, ph and alk are all in line as well.

RIP BOB (i named him since he was one of the first to go in)

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Yea Matt it happens in the first few months. I good to see your taking your time and not rushing more critters in thier then the tank can handle right now.

Mike

mattseattle

hopefully i haven't added to many. i have 8 snails, 3 hermit crabs, sally lightfoot and a cleaner shrimp right now. i thought i would stay put with these for a few months and let things build up.

the cleaner shrimp was a little iffy in my mind but Chris at Aquarium Concepts said it would fine. We'll see.....

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Nothing wrong with those bud. you will probibly need more snails and such real soon, when the tank starts its algae blooms.

Mike

mattseattle

thanks!

as far as the snails, yeah i was just adding them as i needed them. didn't want to get to many and have some starve from lack of algae/etc.

i should be getting my new metal halides this week so i'm sure that'll help the algae bloom along a tad bit :)

mattseattle

he was still in his little shell with his arms barely hanging out. i pulled him up to the top of the tank and put him on a rock where i left him for a few hours. no movement at all.....his arms stayed in the same position. even when i touched him no movement.

so i hope that is dead....if not i'm going to pay in the afterlife for tossing the little hermit into a coke bottle and throwing it in the garbage.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.