Quantcast

Nano sand bed?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

BCT182

I am going to be setting up a 10-20g nano with very high flow. Should I have bare bottom, shallow sand bed, or a deep sand bed? I will be running a skimmer and powerheads and thats it. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.
Brett

Katchupoy

Go with barebottom brett... You will have much more space by doing so.... If your going to buy a glass tank... buy the 20 gallon long... very nice and cheap...

How about fishes? will you have any?

Katchupoy

Well the reason I ask...is because if you want to keep your sand... thats fine but go with one fish or no fish at all for very low poop.... maybe a clown will do? if thats the case then sand it is....

Shoreliner11

Me+NaH2O= :-)
I personally am not a fan of barebottom so I'd recommend a sand bed. In my 20gal I have a mag 3 return pump going through a SCWD and 2 different loc lines for each side I can honestly say I have no real detritus build up problems. I like the natural look of sand beds and I don't like that reflective look you get from barebottom. Just my opinion though :)

opihi

my nano tank has a 1" SSB with black sand. i don't have any fish in it, but i have a very messy mantis shrimp in there. i have not found any noticable detritus on the sand bed, but there is still algae growth on the LR. if you're really worried about nuisance algae, research LR "cooking".

i've run several tanks with DSB, SSB, or BB. i honestly don't feel that one is all that much better than the other. it's how you set them up that's important.

wrightme43

How about green star polyops for the bottom of your tank
Ritsuko gave me the idea and I have been dieing to try it. Peel up a mat, cut it into 1" squares and super glue them down. let them grow over the bottom of the tank. When you want to clean it, touch them let them close and shiphon off the junk. I have not tested this It is only a idea. I just hope sombody gets some use out of it. Steve

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts