Naso Tang ????? Whats the deal?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

oregon gorge

We bought a Naso about 5 weeks ago. Seemed to be doing well, picked at algae on LR and back glass, and ate rolled nori in the clip.

I put mush in this morning and he was swimming around. 10 minutes later he was laying on his side with white dots all over him. He was breathing heavy and I figured he was a gonner.

10 minutes later, he is swimming around again. Not full steam ahead, but swimming.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Chris

TDEVIL

mojoreef said:
Hmmm maybe you have an epaleptic fish??? lol not sure Chris sounds kinda wierd

Mike
thats great, an epaleptic fish

i do agree, that does sound kinda weird, what other creatures do you have, how big is the naso, and the tank, how much LR do you have and how much flow

sorry that i dont know these (if you have posted before) i havent been that involved with the site lately, and im sorry for that

i have a naso, he is around 4 years old now, i have never seen him act this way

TD

jmaxwell

Are the white spots gone now...is he eating again? Have you added the mush before and what does it contain...how are other fish in the tank? I might suspect some chemical in the mush or another unrelated addition to your tank. Have you checked all the water perameters for any big swings..such as pH?

Jim

oregon gorge

350 gallon reef tank
50 gallon sump w/900gph return
6000 gph closed loop running about half flow
400 lbs LR
1150 watts MH
660 watts VHO actinic
mostly LPS, a few plates, caps, gorgs, zoos and shrooms
2 500 watt EJ heaters
Top Fathom skimmer, being upgraded
1.26 SG

lg purple tang, yellow tang, hippo tang, sailfin tang, naso tang
green chromies, percula, royal gramma, cleaner & peppermint shrimp, 3 sally's, 1 boxer crab, 6 brittle and 5 serpant stars, 2 tiger tail and one black cuke, about 100 various snails, tuxedo urchin, cocoa worm, lots of dusters, 2 blue leg hitchikers etc.

Everybody but the Naso is doing great.

kevinpo

Expert
Check your tang at night with a flashlight. I believe you will find it with the same coloration. I have one at the store that does that when spooked or asleep.

Regards,
Kevin

oregon gorge

Yes, you are right about the spots. But he is gone:(

Everything else is looking realy great, so I dont know.

Must be just one of those things. Found a new coral supplier today, so thats a good thing on a dreary day.

Thanks gang, Chris

mr_meoffiii

Some people seem to have better luck with Naso's. The spotting you see is the same as when the light stripe can be seen on a Yellow Tang. Stress, water quality or even problem from one of the other Tangs. I have given up on the Naso Tang. The 3 or 4 times I have tried but only failed. I have kept many other Tangs, Blue Hippo, Purple and yellows to name a few. The have all thrived. Check all the water parameters you may find something there.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Chris it could have been something as simple as a fish that internal damage from cyanide poisening, and finaly had internal failures?? Just guessing but by the sound of the other critters its a good possibility.

Mike

oregon gorge

Thanks guys,

Water and everything else is doing great. I asked the LFS I got him from, and they said the same as Mike. Possible parasite, or who knows what else?????

Anyone had better luck with Powder Browns? How about the type that is on RC home page. I think I saw one at Blue Sierra, but it didnt look quite the same.

Chris

mr_meoffiii

Powder browns as with powder blue are beautiful fish as long you can keep ich out breaks under control. That has been the only problem I have ever had.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.