Quantcast

Need a little help

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
I need a little help understanding what is going on with my Ph. No real problems, I just put a larger skimmer on my system, and ever since, my ph has stablized at 8.2. This was a reading taken at about 2:30 this AM. When I got up this morning it was at 8.3. My question is, what would cause this? Is it because I am getiing better air exchange within the skimmer itself. I just kind of want to fully understand what is going on here. Any help in doing that would be greatly appreciated. TIA :)

reedman

That makes sense tto me. The more fresh air that goes into the system (via the skimmer in your case) the more CO2 is blown off which causes a rise in PH.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
I have had to cut back in my kalwasser adds because of this. Do you think that this could have any effects down the road? My calcium level is fine at 430-450.

gobie

dave the gobie
Since You Kimmer Removes Wastes Which Are Acidic And Blows Off Some Co2 My Best Assumption Would Be That Your System Is Little More Balanced Out. Thus Brings Up Your Buffering Capabilities.

Boomer

RF Staff
I just kind of want to fully understand what is going on here

You already got good answers ;). In short, any time CO2 leaves a solution of water the pH goes up and this is what your skimmer is doing. Consider yourself lucky to a point. If you had high room air CO2 the skimmer would be adding CO2 and the pH would be going down. Your Ca is already a little high so I wouldn't worry for now about adding less kalk.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Thanx people, really appreciate it. Boomer, I keep a window open in that room 24/7, although at this time of year, it ain't open to much. :)

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Kevin
The 8.2 was at 2:30 AM, and the 8.3 was at 7 AM, before any lites were on. Of course I lite my fuge at opposite times. That would help the stabilization of the ph, correct?

Boomer

RF Staff
Of course I lite my fuge at opposite times. That would help the stabilization of the ph, correct?

Yes, that is correct. Your plants are doing that for you :D

I keep a window open in that room 24/7, although at this time of year, it ain't open to much

And that helps allot ;)

What is your pH during the day, just wondering ?

Last edited:

kevinpo

Expert
Near the end of the refugium photo period the maximum amount of carbon dioxide would have been consumed by the plants and exchanged for oxygen. This has a tendency to drive up the PH slightly (like the amount you measured).

In very cold or warm climates where you can't open a window terrestrial plants can help reduce home carbon dioxide buildup. I have 2 lemon trees and a 7' fica tree in my bedroom and several other large house plants in other rooms.

Regards,
Kevin

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
The thing about having plants in the house is interesting because Lorie is the green thumb in the family. We have got plants all thru the house, and they are actually alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a good thing I don't look at them to much. :):)

Katchupoy

Here is my next question....

What is your PH during or around in the afternoon... maybe 5 to 7 o'clock...

Why? this is the time where you have the highest PH in your tank because of photosynthesis.

You mentioned that you checked around 2 and 7 in the morning... this is usually the lowest.

thanks

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
It is probably gonna max out at 8.43 or 8.44. That's what it has been doing for the last couple of days anyways. I have been keeping a pretty close eye on it so we'll see what happens. Thanx, that's a good thing to watch.

Katchupoy

I think your PH levels are very good. That is what im trying to achieve but cannot... will need to start dosing of kalkwasser...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.