Quantcast

Need an emergency solution

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

Today I come home to find a notice on my door that states that I am going to be without power for 12 hours beginning Monday March 8th starting at 12 Midnight. Ugh!!!!! Apparently they are re-doing part of the grid over by the Seattle Center.

I don't think my tank will do well for 12+ hours because I'm sure they won't get it on within 12 hours.

Does anyone have any solutions for me? guess an invertor would probably be my cheapest and best solution for a period of that long? does anyone have one that I could rent from them? or is there a place here in Seattle I could purchase one from? or if someone has a generator I could rent/borrow from them I'd be pleased.

Thanks for everyones help. This stuff just aggrevates me when they do stuff like this but I guess it has to be done.

Matt

mattseattle

is it enough power to run one small pump and a 200w heater? or one or the other i guess? i could switch them off if need be.

does it hook to a car battery?

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
yes on the car battery I always just used it for a big powerhead so not sure on the heater
I will try it tonite and let you know

Mike

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Matt,
I often see computer power supplie back ups. I am wondering if one of those would help you? I am not sure how long it would work if it did....but just a idea, not sure if it is good one?

mattseattle

well i have an UPS but it's only good for an hour i think. so the 12+ hour duration would definitely kill it.

Thanks Mike for checking that out.

mattseattle

ok I found out that Home Depot rents generators. 40.00 for 24 hours for a 3000 watt generator. Think I'll go that route...should be enough power for my tank as well as maybe a tv :)

fishermann

matt you can go to any rental place and rent a gen set for very little a day. You don't need to get fancy on the hook up, just run you some extension cords from the two outlets on the gen to what ever you want to power up, run regular orange extension cords, not the little brown household ones. If you rent a 5000 one and get some 12 ga. cords you can even run your fridge to keep the beer cold and the tv also. lol. You well be able to run eerything on your tanks. I have one i have for just such things sitting in my garage you are welcome to use but i live in anacortes.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
So the party is still on at your house Matt? Is it BYOB? Is there a fight on? How bout a little WWE?...lmao...
But seriouly, now I know what to do when a power outage is going to happen. You are so lucky that they told you in advance. Maybe I do want to move to Seattle? The squirrels here are killing me.

mattseattle

*laff*

yeah after i typed the original message i thought about buying a generator then realized i don't have the cash right now. then i thought rental and for 40.00 i can easily do that to make sure my tank is safe and sound.

thanks everyone for the suggestions...now hopefully there won't be a rush on generators at Home Depot! :)

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
matt,
if you need borrow a large UPS, you can borrow mine from one of my servers. It should keep your tank up at least an hour, depending on what you have plugged into it.

mattseattle

well my power just came on so i was down 19 hours. ugh! i rented a 3000 watt generator from home depot. it kept everything up and running in the tank. awesome generator but was way loud. everything pulled through.....

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts