Quantcast

need help ASAP PLZ!!! Need to know if i need water change

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Jonathan G.

I added live rock, cured about 20 lbs, a week and a half ago and had no change in water parameters. i added two percs about a day and a half ago and am now reading about a .1-.15 ammonia reading. I started running some water a few days ago in case something would happen to where i would need a water change. my other parameters read as follows: pH = 8.1, nitrite = 0 ppm, nitrate = 0 ppm. should i do a water change or let it ride and see if the water parameters will adjust to the newcomers? also what is considered too high for these parameters? well i know that pH should be around 8.3

the clowns seem to be doing great and aren't shy by no means, they practically swim right to my hand when i put it in there.

MtnDewMan

If you are reading Ammonia like that, I would definately do a water change to help out the water quality. Is your test kit okay? The 0 in nitrite has me concerned if you have that high of ammonia. Either your ammonia test results are wrong, or you are in for a cycle to get your nitrites up to take care of that ammonia.

Precaution would say, do a water change.

Jonathan G.

well i may be jumping the gun... im so use to doing ammonia tests and testing nothing and maybe im just now starting to read something, i did 2 more tests and held them in different light and maybe its more between 0-.1 do you still think i should do a water change or just let the fish settle in? shouldn't the ammonia be undetecable anyways or no? plz let me know asap so i can get this water change underway.

Last edited:

Gordo

It can't hurt. In the future please take note that a cycle can take a couple of weeks to get started. You didn't mention where the live rock came from. That will also have an impact on length and severity of a cycle. Rock pulled from someones tank and dropped on yours will have little or no cycle. Mail order rock will have a nasty cycle most times.

Gordo

Jonathan G.

yea this rock is from my local fish store he has it in a seperate tank with all sorts of live rock he sells and it is all cured. he cures it in the back in seperate tubs with skimmers before he puts it in the sell tank. the only thing in the tank is a few snails damsels and a lawnmower blenny that has a great time in there.

NaH2O

Jonathan - what type of test kit are you using. I ran into a problem when my tank cycled with a cheap test kit. It was reading that I had trace ammonia, and when I double checked it with a Salifert kit at the LFS, my ammonia was actually zero. Just a thought.

Jonathan G.

i'm using the cheap one also... aquarium pharmacueticals i beleive is the brand. looking to get a hagen master test kit here in a minute.

Jonathan G.

i went ahead and did a MWC and brought my ammonia back down to not noticable and the fish still seem to be doing fine. i think i'm gonna let the 2 percs just chill for a while then im gonna add about 50-75 more lbs of liverock this week and get my lights hooked up next week.

NaH2O

Keep monitoring your ammonia, especially after adding the new live rock. There might be enough die-off during transit to start another spike.

What size tank is this?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts