Quantcast

Need help constructing an aquarium for my school classroom

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

K

kjenglert

I am a science teacher at Nathan Hale High School in Seattle and have about $700 to create a temperate marine aquarium in my classroom. I am looking for recommendations. I am especially interested in methods to chill the water. Can I use a small refridgerator to cool the water if I get a 50 gallon tank? How about a 90 gallon tank? Filtration methods? Any recommendations on good books to lead me in the right direction?

aquariumdebacle

electrolyte addict
cool tank

Unfortunately, unless you are talking about a full size refrigerator, the energy demands will only allow you about a ten gallon tank for a small dorm frig. A compressor for a tank of that size is going to cost~$600-$1000. If you want to go the ten gallon route, I would be more than happy to help you out.

Alice

Contact local breweries or beer distibutors to see if you can get a line on a used flash cooler. You can also look for used restaurant/grocery store equipment that has been used for live seafood tanks.

I don't know if anyone on here has a temperate tank but I'm sure the UW (and Aqauirumdebacle) and the Seattle Aquarium could help you out with ideas.

I've always thought having a temperate tank would be very neat!

Oh, and Welcome! to the PSAS :)

G~

Super Gobie
i also agree on finding an old live seafood tank. those that kept Maine lobsters in them are what you are looking for. a lot of time the older shops just buy new ones instead of fix the old ones when they stop working. most of the time it is just a recharge that is necessary. this will get you most of the way there. other than that, keeping aquariums cool is expensive.

G~

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.