Quantcast

Need help picking out a pump

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

plack

Sea Otter
Hi
I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 overflow boxes one is a cpr 50 Ø 3/4" (300 Gallon Rated ) and the other is a generic brand 6" long with Ø1" outflow and 2 u-tubes Ø1" each (I think it is 600 Gallon Rated).
The sump is a cpr cy194 rated at 800 Gallons per hour so if i put a ball valve i could use a pump rated at or over 800 gallons per hour but how much can these 2 overflows drain and what would be a good match anyone got an idea i tried an iwaki at around 800 and had to keep the ball valve on and quickly noticed this used pump was electrically shocking me so i returned it and didn't fiddle too much with it now i have a sump with no pump and someone has another 800-950 gall rated pump and I wonder if i am pushing my overflows too hard ? any advice is welcome :)

wanareef

reefer addict
I'm runing two overflows w/1" BH's on both w/2x "U" tube each and it just barely keeps up with an Iwaki 40. With one tube removed the tank starts to fill up quick and will flood. If you go internal a mag 9.5 would work, just have a valve on it, external the 40 with a valve on the output side as well.

HTH

Katchupoy

I use mag 5 external setup. on a 1"x"U" overflow config. Anything more than mag 5 will make noise on the return.

And like wanareef said, mag 9.5 is a good choice.

gobie

dave the gobie
It Is Relly Your Peference On What It Is That You Wanna Use On Your System. Usually When You Run A Dedicated External Pump Like An Iwaki, Blueline, Etc They Willrun You More On Price And Electrical Use. Whereas An Internal Pump/power Head Is Cheaper And Some Have A Tendancy To Heat The Water, Like My Sedra 7000

Elmo18

Clownfish
I would use a MAG 9.5 and run it internally.

For external pumps, I prefer Iwakis. Japanese motor Iwakis will last longer.

- Elmo

gobie

dave the gobie
Now If You Like Iwaki Pump And Want Somthing A Little Cheaper Go With A Blueline/ Pan World Pumps Take A Look At Them At Champion Lighting Or Marinedepot

WaterDogs

I use a MAG 12 for my return pump but it also goes through a chiller and some 90 degree bends and it's running wide open on a 75g tank.

Dwaine

plack

Sea Otter
Thank you all for your sugestions (Running V.H.O. with P.C.) I have decided to try a Iwaki someone clued me onto and figured I was afraid of the overflow's seeing 2 must come on for it to even out and if 1 clogged it would pump too fast in my absence so I asked for and found someone selling a 1200 gph cpr type overflow and will plug it into a strong powerhead so suction on restart will get rid of any air bubbles that was it I really needed time and your suggestions to figure out I was afraid of my overflow boxes not so much a pump thank you all again:)

Katchupoy

I did not understant the part where you mentioned that you need "a strong powerhead so suction on restart"...

Is this another extra pump other than the return pump (iwaki) you mentioned?

plack

Sea Otter
yes its for the cpr overflow box to suck any air out of it that gets in there during the time the electricity is off and the water is drained out of the tank back into the sump i just want to insure it starts up as reliably as possible to prevent flooding as much as possable. :)

Katchupoy

Hey Plack,

Are you going to use all the overflows? 3 of them?

Also, consider the distance height between the sump and the main tank. Usually the pressure of the pump decrease by the feet it travels vertically.

im not familiar with the CPR, but you have another overflow box right? Is it also the same case? that you need a pump to prime it?

There should'nt be flooding unless the "U" part is clogged by snail or debris.

Whenthe return pump goes out. All the flow should stop. But this should not empty the "U" tube/part of the overflow. That should always have water in it.

Now, if thats not the case... you should check carefully where the problem is.

Because these oveflow boxes should run on its own, without any help. EXCEPT when you prime it because you remove the continuity of the water inside the U tube or pipe. But thats it. No more, no less.

The whole idea/concept here is "gravity feed". And thats it. It works before, and it should work again and again.

Now about the tiny bubbles that are stock inside those "U" tubes. That should'nt be a problem. You can shake the tube and the strong flow inside it will carry those small bubbles with them.

wrightme43

Hi plack, I have the Cpr overflow box 1200 gph, two 1" outlets. I use a pump called the aqualifter pump, It works perfect for the cpr. It is actually recomened to do just what you are talking about. It costs 9.99 and sits perfectly on top of the overflow box. It has one airline tubing that goes into the suction hole at the top of your overflow, and one airline tube that dumps into the cpr drain side cup. It just consantly sucks water and any air that gets into the cpr C siphon. It does this by also pumping water just a small amount all the time. I shut my main pump off twice a day to feed and It always restarts perfectly. I have had zero problems with it and would like to recomened it to you. I am posting a photo of the item I am describeing and Marine Depot (a sponsor sells them) and DRs Foster and Smith sells them. HTH you Steve
I am adding this in a edit. The paper is there because the cpr box is like a echo chamber and it cuts the noise down to where you can barely even hear it. The foam from a fluvel canister filter is in the cpr because it makes it even quieter. HTH Steve

Last edited:

wrightme43

Oh yeah and I use a quiet one 6000 pump and it is supposed to pump 1506 gph at 0 head, I figure I am getting about 900-1000 at the return into the tank. You can see my tank in my gallery. If you have any questions about feel free to ask. It is not the best ever, but it does work well for me. Steve

Angelscrx

Import Fish
Katchupoy said:
Now about the tiny bubbles that are stock inside those "U" tubes. That should'nt be a problem. You can shake the tube and the strong flow inside it will carry those small bubbles with them.
Not always true, I have bubbles get stuck in mine all the time (which is why I hate U-tube overflows) and even when I shake the tube they don't come out. I have to go in there with a siphon hose and restart these things about every two weeks. :mad: Next tank will be drilled!

gobie

dave the gobie
iI HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH J TUBES SO I DECIDED WHEN I BOUGHT MY NEW 75G I HAD IT DRILLED FOR 1 1/2" BULK HEAD. IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE. I RUN MY BLUE LINE WIDE OPEN AND AS FAST AS IT GOES IN IT GOES OUT. NO LOSS OF SUCTION NO BUBBLES NO WORRIES.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts