Quantcast

need help with live rock

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

johnnybaze

hello everyone im fairly new to saltwater, ive had a fish only tank for about three years and now and deccided im going to try a coral tank. i been doing a little bit of reading on this but only on corals whats hardy whats not equip. needed ect. well i new that i nedded live rock to get started so yesterday i rushed off to the lfs and bought me some live rock only to find out there is a whole science to curing it :( the guy at the fish store told me a little bit but was kinda misleading. he asked me if my tank was cycled and what was in it. i told him yes the tank has been runnin for about 4 months inside it i have a couple of the big scarlett hermit crabs 150 blue leg crabs 4 damsels a coral banded shrimp a purple lobster and a couple of purple slug looking things think there called ninibranch or somthing like that and also about 150 pounds of live sand oh yea and its a 180 gallon tank. he replied oh thats no biggie this rock should be about done curring so he picked out some pieces smelt them and said they were good to just rinse them in some fresh saltwater i smelt the peices to and there was no odor to them at all so i bought 30lbs. of it. but when i got home and started reading about this i got kinda scared to put it in my tank so i mixed some saltwater in some 5 gallon buckets put some power heads in there and added the live rock i did a 100% water change on all of the buckets once yesterday its was very dirty looked like a bucket of mud, now its clear as can be. so now im kinda lost can someone please help. should i leave the rocks in the buckets, should i continue with the water changes, should i put it in my tank not sure what to do any help is greatly appreciated

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Hey Johnny welcome to Reef frontiers!! Usually the smell test works fairly good but no matter what your going to get some die off (sponges and so on). I would say do an ammonia and a nitrate test on the bucket water and see what is going on. Right now I would leave the rock in the bucket with heaters and a PH for a couple of days and see what those tests tell you. If you get a ammonia reading then wait a little longer if not then you should be ok. With the sand bed being established it will help with any spikes as long as they arent big ones.

Mike

johnnybaze

thanks for the fast replie i ran some tests on the water ammonia is at 0 but nitrites are extremly high should i wait till the nitrite drops before putting the rocks in in my tank? am i harmming the rock if i leave it in the water with high nitries?

NaH2O

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! I would wait until the nitrites are 0 - that way you know the rocks are set to go in. Give them a good blast with the powerhead. Also, I wouldn't worry about the rocks getting harmed - you would be amazed at what survives, and they will be repopulated in no time once in your tank. Let us know how things go!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts