Quantcast

need your help with my new sump

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

wrassehole

wannabe reefmaster
here is the sump that i just finished designing out of an old 35 gallon glass tank. im trying to think of the best three filter medias to use. as of now im just using filter wool on the first eggcrate and a cut to size carbon filter on the second eggcrate, what can i use that maybe better and also, what would you use for the third media? perhaps bioballs or some other type? would you change anything? im redy to start construction after your input. thanks

wrightme43

Industrial grade polyfilter (the chemical impregnated one) and chemipure are my two favorites, behind them I like de-nitrate. Are you going to center your filter input, it could just be the drawing I know you will get more out of your filter media if its not pouring to one side. It looks cool. I like the fuge and then the skimmer. Let me ask do you think the pods will make it through the skimmer? are you just using it for no3 and phos reduction or do you want it to feed the fish and corals as well? Dig the name wrassehole, I wish I were that clever. Steve

wrassehole

wannabe reefmaster
Thank you for your input steve, it really helps. yes the filter input is centered in "real life", and I have a saucer (like under a tea cup) sitting on the filter pad that the water splashes onto first before hitting the media. that way, the little dirties dont get forced through the pads by water pressure. the powerhead that runs my skimmer is in the same compartment as the pump that pushes the water back into the display tank. this may sound stupid but, i really dont know why im putten in a fuge. i dont really know why or how they work. im just doing it because every one else has one (what a follower) and the must do somethin. i dont know if the pods will end up in my skimmer or not. i guess they shouldnt eh? (yes im canadian)

those medias you suggested.... are they in pad form? will they sit upon an eggcrate?

thanks again dude

wrightme43

Hey Wrassehole rotflol, The polyfilter is a pad, the chemipure comes with a micron filter bag, De-Nitrate is loose. I believe the reason for the fuge is plants use up the nitrate and phosphate, the pods eat junk that gets through the filter, and feed your fish and corals for free. As a added benifit you can grow algae that will feed your tangs and other herbiv. fish and critters. What kind of light will you use on your fuge? 24 hr on or will you use alternate cycle on to the tank lights. I think people use 24 on to keep calupera from sexual reproduction and alternate cycle to the tank lights to keep ph from fluctuating after tank lights out. If you could put skimmer intake ahead of the fuge and output after you would have a more efficent system and no loss of pods at all. Most places carry the big industrial PolyFilter for 29.99, the small ones for 5-10$ U.S. currency. You might try a small bucket with a lot of drilled holes and filled with bio-balls or ceramic rings to break up the water flow, so you won't have a dead spot under the plate that breaks up water flow. Hope that helps y'all (yes I'm from KY) no I'm not married to my sister or cousin Ha ha

wrassehole

wannabe reefmaster
thanks dude, youve been alot of help. i think ill do 24 hours for the fuge light, but will that cause massive algae breakout in the fuge? also ill place the skimmer pump before the fuge. up here in Canada, we dont have that stereotype of you guys married to your cousins we just think the north spread that rumour cause you guys ended up with the better half of the country

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I do not like to use bio balls. I have at least 5 gallons worth of new ones for sale. I believe people often forget their bio balls and they get a build up of nitrates. For those with bio balls just remove them and see what happens to your nitrate level if they have not been rotated in more than eight months. I would use filter socks or poly filters when there was a issue.

quote: Your parents were cousins

TDEVIL

looks good to me :)

IMO, the only thing i would change would be the skimmer, i would move it to the front of the sump/fuge, this way the skimmer would be first then the fuge
where the skimmer is now, it might cause micro bubbles to get back to the tank, so i would move teh hole skimmer and not just the pump :)
other than that it looks good

Jay

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts